Getting a weekend job where you'll be "overqualified"

Options
2»

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The last thing you want to tell Tesco is that you're a professional with financial problems who wants shifts at their busiest times. It isn't unknown for people to take jobs in supermarkets purely to attempt to scam them out of money, particularly "clever" people who have come up with a "system".

Ones I've seen (or been witness to the disciplinary) include: reducing everything they want to buy to 1p then getting a family member to go through self scan, emptying the notes into a pod then the pod never making it to the cash office because he'd kicked it under his chair and not into the tube, telling an old lady she'd won £2 on a scratchcard and not £2000, some elaborate system of putting through goodwill £2 (The supermarket used to do this whenever something didn't scan through at the same price as on the shelf) but keeping the cards and not giving them to the customer.

There were more but those were the highlights, all of them "professionals" looking for a "job that didn't tax their brains", or "additional income to fund an extension/another car/driving lessons for their 17 year old". One of them lost their professional job too because the supermarket pressed charges and their registered body found out and counted it as fraud.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi all.

I work in professional services and money is tight for a number of reasons and I am spending more than I am earning for the most part. I am looking for a second job I can do over the weekend and I want some advice.

How do I apply for a job where I will immediately been seen as overqualified? I am thinking of getting a job at my local Tesco but have no idea how to tailor a CV without outright lying about what I am currently doing.

I also wanted to know if there were any professional or relatively high paying jobs I can do on the weekend that anyone could recommend?

Have you had the conversation with Manager of the supreme main job???

Yes you can apply to this supermarket, whilst the recruiting policy can vary store to store, ours will have anyone in and offer flex - as much as the Jobcentre get laughed up for trying to get people in the wrong positions...apply to T for one position and you'll be interviewed for another. and they make full use of the three month probation period should you not achieve. If you don't get an induction on Saturday, then you will be expected to roll up on a working day for this.

As for professional weekend jobs they are out there - that is your own search to do.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Check your contract for terms that require you to notify your current employer.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Going to the Debt-Free Wannabe board and posting a Statement of Assets is likely to be far more help than this one.

If the reasons for the overspending are not addressed, then working on the weekends will not help at all. You will still be overspending, only now you will be stressed, tired and burned out as well. The worst case scenario is that your mental health deteriorates to the point you can't do your main job and your financial problems get even worse.

If you have a nine-to-five job in professional services in the UK then income is not the problem, expenditure is.
    I also wanted to know if there were any professional or relatively high paying jobs I can do on the weekend that anyone could recommend?

Why do you think we would know more than you about the availability of weekend contract jobs in your chosen field when you haven't even told us what it is?
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Edit to add something helpful in addition to the churlish reply above:

Why is it churlish?

The only assumption I made was that this "professional services" job was full time, however if that holds true then it is foolish NOT to query why OP isn't trying to address the underlying issue of expenditure > income from a financial perspective.

Getting a part time job in addition could simply be papering over the cracks a lot of the time. In that respect, I think that OP would be wise to at least consider what I proposed.

Sadly, comments like yours ("churlish") are an unnecessary distraction from the fact that I was just trying to help OP.
  • Les79
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Going to the Debt-Free Wannabe board and posting a Statement of Assets is likely to be far more help than this one.

If the reasons for the overspending are not addressed, then working on the weekends will not help at all. You will still be overspending, only now you will be stressed, tired and burned out as well. The worst case scenario is that your mental health deteriorates to the point you can't do your main job and your financial problems get even worse.

If you have a nine-to-five job in professional services in the UK then income is not the problem, expenditure is.

Why do you think we would know more than you about the availability of weekend contract jobs in your chosen field when you haven't even told us what it is?

Oh god, another user who is being "churlish" :rotfl:
  • LuSiVe
    LuSiVe Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    Why is it churlish?

I read it that they meant the first half of their *own* post was churlish.
  • Les79
    Options
    LuSiVe wrote: »
    I read it that they meant the first half of their *own* post was churlish.

Ah! Apologies to shortcrust if that is the case.
  • snowqueen555
    snowqueen555 Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cut down to part time to find other areas of work, signing up to two bank staff jobs recently.

I think bank positions in any sector is a good place to try, they know you have a day job and need extra work, and weekends are usually where they are most desperate to fill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure