References for new job -

Options
Hello,

I have accepted a new offer of employment elsewhere.

They are asking for two references. They have said that the two references cannot be from the same employer and so you are allowed to provide one employment reference and a personal referee.

I don’t have any previous employers as I’ve been in this job since graduation (5 years ago). To get this job, I had provided references from university tutors who I am no longer in contract with.

Who can I use for the personal reference? I was going to ask a family friend (who is also sort of my friend) to do it as she is a professional (a teacher) – would there be any harm in this or is the implication that a personal referee should have been involved with your instruction / education at some point in your life?

Thanks

MC

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    A personal reference is a reference from somebody who knows you on a personal level, unlike a work reference which is specifically about how you operate in a work environment. Normally the only exclusion is the use of a family member. A family friend should be fine.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello,

They have said that the two references cannot be from the same employer and so you are allowed to provide one employment reference and a personal referee.

I was interested to read this.

I'm currently working in an admin role in HR and pointed out that a new recruit had two references which covered the same employer (of about two years) and wondered why they had not gone back to the previous employer (I had found contact details for an appropriate person).

The response from the recruiting managers was that it didn't matter and any way one of them had had both her references from the same organisation - but that had been a big employer and she had worked there for a decade or more.

They also had not realised that one reference had the same job title as the recruit had had there and so it was not actually her manager who was giving that reference, simply a fellow worker (supervisory level).
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd be inclined to contact your university to provide a reference. Is the prospective employer content to accept a testament from what is effectively your mate, are they asking in what capacity they know you?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use personal references quite often, do you have anyone who works in the same field as this job?
  • MiseryChastain
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I use personal references quite often, do you have anyone who works in the same field as this job?

Yes, got loads of mates who do exactly the same job as me at different employers. Could I use them?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, got loads of mates who do exactly the same job as me at different employers. Could I use them?
    ye why not? Better if they're higher up, but it's all relevant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure