Commute vs salary

Options
EnterUserName
EnterUserName Posts: 96 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 28 February 2019 at 12:55PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi all,

This is a work / life balance thread. I’ve currently got around a 3hr daily commute, and I’m sick of it.

My research suggests I could swap the 3hrs for 30 minutes but at a 25% pay cut.

So... Has anyone on here been in this position before, and what did you do?

Cheers
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Dean000000
    Options
    Yep. Took the pay cut and never regretted it.

Old man advice here: you can never get time back with your loved ones. Make the most of it rather than chasing the pound note.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I have done jobs locally as I’d rather have more spare time tbh. Money is ok, but better off making sure your money works for you such as making sure your on the cheapest bills etc
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Surely the shorter commute would be cheaper too?
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • EnterUserName
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, that’s reassuring and kind of what I was hoping to hear...

Seems a bit backward in this capitalist consumerist world to give up a salary rather than buy crap I don’t need to “feel better” (advice from a friend). I know one thing and the commute is doing my nut in

The cheaper commute was factored into the figs above.

***hmmm*** time to ponder options :cool:
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I was once offered a job with potentially much higher earnings (head hunted), but a long commute each day. I turned it down flat. Money itself has never been a major reason for taking a job, as I would rather have time to enjoy what money I do have.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    Is that 3h total or each way?

If 1.5h each way then that is about the absolute limit to my tolerance. But any more is a no.

Seems a bit backward in this capitalist consumerist world to give up a salary rather than buy crap I don’t need to “feel better” (advice from a friend). I know one thing and the commute is doing my nut in

Depending on the answer to my question above, this could be a weaker or stronger point...

But your commute will be contributing to "global warming" by increasing the emissions. In contrast, getting a job closer to home potentially lowers your carbon footprint. So in that respect your commute VS a shorter one also seems "a bit backward".

Also, that time for commuting could be a sign that you are "playing the system" so to speak. Living in a cheaper part of the UK and benefitting from higher wages elsewhere. As I said above, depending on your TOTAL commute time (3h or 6h) that could be a weaker or stronger point. Can't really knock you if you are doing this like, but it would be a bit selfish in one respect.

Ultimately, though, it is entirely your decision. It totally depends on what you value more; less time and more money, or more time and less money (which can also include moving closer to your current job).
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take the pay cut and enjoy having the time to smell the roses
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As long as you can manage on the lower salary, absolutely, take the new job and shorter commute.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • EnterUserName
    Options
    No it's 3 hrs is total, and the new job 30 mins is total per day. Just the thought of a 6 hour commute is horrendous, I wouldn't do that for six figures a year :rotfl:

Yeah I live in the home counties and commute to London, it's only about 20 miles (as the crow flies) but public transport and over crowding takes care of the rest.

I can live on the lower wage, I'm Mr frugal anyway... Shop in charity shops by choice etc...

Time to dust off that old CV methinks :D
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    No it's 3 hrs is total, and the new job 30 mins is total per day. Just the thought of a 6 hour commute is horrendous, I wouldn't do that for six figures a year :rotfl:

Yeah I live in the home counties and commute to London, it's only about 20 miles (as the crow flies) but public transport and over crowding takes care of the rest.

I can live on the lower wage, I'm Mr frugal anyway... Shop in charity shops by choice etc...

Time to dust off that old CV methinks :D

Think you've come to the right conclusion.:beer:
    Thinking critically since 1996....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills