PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Longer lasting salad ingredients

Options
13»

Comments

• dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are a bunch of things you can do to make fruit and veg last longer. Take a look at https://www.rd.com/food/fun/keep-fruits-and-veggies-fresh-longer/
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 July 2019 at 12:42PM
    Options
    Growing lettuce is a good idea as has been suggested. Another salad plant which goes off quickly is spring onion and these can be easily grown as well.

I have recently rediscovered cucumbers which can keep for some time. Great for Greek salads. In fact all the ingredients in Greek salads keep well (cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, red onions, feta cheese, olive oil and olives)

PS. I think peppers is an ingredient that is not traditionally in a Greek salad - just my version!
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Such amazing tips thank you!!! So glad I started this thread always get great advice on the OS board thanks everyone :D
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Iceberg lettuce keeps for ages (you might have to discard the outermost leaves, but the rest will be fine). Peppers, tomatoes, cucumber all good for a week at least. Spring onions ditto (when they start to go over just cut them up and use in cooking like standard onions). I also like baby spinach as a change to lettuce sometimes - it doesn't last as long as iceberg, but when it goes limp you can cook it as a vegetable, so again no waste.
    Also grated carrot, grated raw beetroot (be warned, it's VERY messy to prepare!!), tinned sweetcorn, cubes of apple.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Waldorf salad is one of my favourites and made using mayo and yoghurt keeps the calories in the dressing down. I make it for work and add cubes of edam and pasta.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I second that about growing lettuce. L1dl often have them in multiple packs as cut & come again. The only thing is I find some varieties bolt quickly.

The reason for that usually is because they don't really like being moved! Also it is extremely important to keep them well watered or again they'll bolt.

I do exactly the same with the growing herbs but again they go to seed really easily if not kept well watered.

Denise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport