Round and round the overdraft....soon to be no more

Options

Comments

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning,

Your holiday is just round the corner, luck sod!

I'm a huge YNAB fan and like you, I was dubious before I started. It costs me £3.99 a month and that's including the international fee cause you're paying them in America.

There's no harm in trying the free trial. Before you do, or at the same time, I would recommend attending their Getting Started webinar. It's interactive so you can ask any questions you may have and they're very clear and thorough without complicating it.

With my free trial I made a ton of mistakes but it was really about getting to grips with it so when it came to my actually paying for it I knew what I was doing. I've only been using for 3 months and I've more money in my current account now than I have ever, EVER! With an easy to use mobile app and the website being just as easy and more indepth it's really helped me get a grips on my spending.

You can pick any category and ask how much I spend and I can now tell you my monthly spend within £10. Groceries, direct debits, petrol, nights out. You name it. I would urge you to give it the free trial a go and see how you find it and although I'm not an expert I'd be happy to help in anyway I can if you've got questions.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speky that would be really good if I could ask you questions about it.

Is it a good idea to start it around payday/ start of month? Or could I start now? I get paid the last Wednesday of every month so it's 2 weeks away. All my bills are paid. My account is in credit....for now?

Louby
  • louby40
    Options
    I've downloaded YNAB and spent the last 2 hours working it out!!! I've booked a webinar on Friday evening!

Today is my third NSD for July!

8 more work days and 10 days till my holiday to Spain!
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Hope you enjoy your holiday. Sounds well deserved.
    The NSDs are quite motivational i think and kind of addictive in a strange way. Im hoping for a good few before payday! xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • louby40
    Options
    PSL, the NSD are great, I could literally spend everyday, I don't know about you? I always have something to buy but I consciously delay things now. I need to buy face cream as I'm running out but I'm scraping the last dregs out of all the pots lol!
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    louby40 wrote: »
    Speky that would be really good if I could ask you questions about it.

Is it a good idea to start it around payday/ start of month? Or could I start now? I get paid the last Wednesday of every month so it's 2 weeks away. All my bills are paid. My account is in credit....for now?

Louby

You can start it now, in fact you’re probably best as you’ve paid your “Immediate Obligations”.

So lets say you have for talking sake £800 in your account right now to last you until pay day. Input that as your current balance and then budget your £800. You may anticipate to spend £200 on groceries, £100 on petrol, £40 on new clothes, £20 for the dentist appointment, £30 for lunches etc etc. YNAB forces you to forecast ahead, to look at your diary and see what you’ve got planned. Any appointments or events need to be budgeted. I still put quite a large chunk into “Stuff I Forgot to Budget For” and I would recommend you do too at the early stage, then you can maybe see a pattern of things you always allocate to there, maybe car parking or you put the lottery on (again I’m just making something up).

If you can’t wait until Friday for your webinar, they have all their webinars on YouTube. The only downside is you can’t interact, obviously.

When I started, I read through their handbook while at work on my lunch and I also downloaded their podcasts in which they give handy tips too.

Lastly, they are very big on being very specific with their individual help. Meaning, if you’ve got a question or problem and you can’t get your head round it, you can email them (bottom left of the YNAB screen) and they can look at your budget and see what you’re doing wrong and give recommendations.

They’re not shy in giving help and there’s tons of resources to get your round the most difficult bit – the beginning,

Hope that helped.
  • louby40
    Options
    Speky

That's great advice thanks. I didn't realise there were videos on Youtube.

I'm confused with it already. Lol.

I have £370 in my current account and I've told it I'm withdrawing £90 cash but it says I'm underfunded? But I have the money sat there?? Confused.... It must be great for the Yanks who can actually link their bank accounts and see real transactions going in and out!

I know I'll probably have to dip into my overdraft too so that should be interesting. Unfortunately I get paid whilst I'm on holiday.

I'll keep dabbling and hopefully it will make sense?
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ah, a concept I’m just getting to grips with is cash on YNAB. It was a subject in which I had to email them and they were super helpful. Below is their reply;

"Cash transactions differ from your other spending, because they do not create a record the way debit or credit transactions do. You can’t simply import a batch of transactions and know that you are up to date. Also, your cash isn’t sitting in a traditional account–it’s in your pocket or wallet or purse.

We cover how to handle cash spending in our User Handbook. You have two options:

1. Set up a cash account and track your spending there

2. Treat cash as a category and record it as spent as soon as it is withdrawn from another account.

Spending from a cash account allows you to track every dollar of your spending. The more cash spending you do, the more important it is for you to use this method–otherwise your budget won’t reflect significant portions of your spending. Entering transactions at the point of sale is easy on our iPhone/iPad app and Android app.

Treating cash as a category treats cash withdrawals as immediately spent from your budget. This allows you not to track cash spending if you have difficulty maintaining that level of detail. Whenever you withdraw cash from one of your other accounts, you can either use a category that reflects it (ex. vacation) or use a category for that type of spending (ex. fun money).

Let me know if you have any other questions about this or anything else!

Best,
    Alicia
    "

I hope that helps...?
  • louby40
    Options
    Ahhh thanks Speky, that sort of helps!

I've just watched a few videos on Youtube and it made things lots clearer. I think I'm getting to grips with it now after a bit of playing around with it.

It's thinking about it differently, it isn't really a reflection of your bank account is it? It's to budget your money, so once you've understood that it's good.

On the negative side you could budget all this money but then not ACTUALLY move your money around to pay off credit cards and add to savings - but why would you??

Thanks
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We use Ynab and it's massively helped us too.
    It's worth signing up for their weekly email and their FB posts. They usually do a weekly video.

Enjoy playing with your money in a much more fun way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure