Wedding Favours - Friends of Cancer

Options
Hi All,

I am looking into wedding favours at present and I want to make a contribution towards "Friends of Cancer". They have mentioned that they can provide some small cards to go at the table for each of the guests, however my partner is not a fan of having 100 cards across the tables and furthermore she is not a fan of the three sample cards shown.

Has anyone else used "Friends of Cancer" or a similar charity in the past for weddomg favours and if so how did you incorporate it into your wedding?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We did a donation to a cancer charity and just said rather than table favors we had made a donation instead.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    We did a donation to a cancer charity and just said rather than table favors we had made a donation instead.

Did you have a card on the table to this effect?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I went to a wedding once where there were no favours (tbh I didn't even notice they weren't there until it was mentioned) but the bride, who also said a few words, said that instead of favours a donation was made to a particular charity.

IMO there's no need for a card on the table, let alone individual cards......
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    Did you have a card on the table to this effect?

No. But I didn't feel the need. I guess you could though. To be honest I'm trying to think of favors of the last weddings I've been to and really can't remember any.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I take it that wedding favo(u)rs are another stupid import from merica, just like baby showers.

Bribing the attendees with little gifts like the whites gave to the indians
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    my partner is not a fan of having 100 cards across the tables and furthermore she is not a fan of the three sample cards shown.

Hunker down & enjoy the peace. If you want to make a cancer charity donation, splendid. Using a third party? Why bother? Herself has the right of it - if she's not on board, abandon the idea. It may not be the missed opportunity you think!
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    I take it that wedding favo(u)rs are another stupid import from merica, just like baby showers.

Bribing the attendees with little gifts like the whites gave to the indians

Didn't think of wedding favours as being particularly American.

Personally I view wedding favours as being another unnecessary expense which the wedding industry has made a must have.

However if a couple, like the OP, wishes to donate to a charity that buy their guests 'gifts' then where's the harm?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Charities are switched on.newlyweds donate to them and put cards on the table. It is just another marketing ploy to try to get extra income. No different to all the envelopes that come through the door.

If the couple want to donate then fine - do it. But why dress the donation up as something it's not. All you are doing by putting the cards on the table is spamming your guests.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 11 August 2019 at 7:24AM
    Options
    Didn't think of wedding favours as being particularly American.

Personally I view wedding favours as being another unnecessary expense which the wedding industry has made a must have.

However if a couple, like the OP, wishes to donate to a charity that buy their guests 'gifts' then where's the harm?
    I had to Google 'wedding favours'.
    OMG! :eek:
    I think if I was a wedding guest I'd prefer the bride & groom to either save their money or donate to a charity instead of providing what looks like tat that would be dumped in the nearest bin.

Do wedding guests really expect 'wedding favours'.

OP:
    Can't you just announce that instead of providing
    [STRIKE]tat[/STRIKE] wedding favours, you are making a donation to xxx charity?
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We didn't do favours at all. We had sparklers (photo props really) and did a pick and mix table which went down really well. Between those, an open bar, the cake and the meal itself, I don't think anybody noticed/cared.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure