Desperate help, please! Mortgage for annex property with council tax issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Peas83
    Options
    Somebody just suggested a idea... Maybe people on here could advise.

What if the deeds were split, so the chalet had its own title. We could then pay cash for it separately and purchase the house and it's deeds via mortgage.

Would that be viable?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Peas83 wrote: »
    Somebody just suggested a idea... Maybe people on here could advise.

What if the deeds were split, so the chalet had its own title. We could then pay cash for it separately and purchase the house and it's deeds via mortgage.

Would that be viable?

If the buildings are attached and you can walk freely between the 2 (ie a door) then no it wont work. Imagine 2 semi detached houses with a door between them - not acceptable, but with a brick wall they are.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Peas83
    Options
    No, they are not attached at all
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    These situations are manageable in most cases. The trick is to tie down the detail and select the right lender accordingly.

A job for a Broker with more experience that your current one.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Remember these problems won't go away when you come to sell.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've just done one of these where my first lender rejected as potential Airbnb. Didn't even cross my mind either to be fair so I just sent the Rightmove link to the pre-val team via bdm's. Lenders came back saying they liked the look of it and would be happy to nove forward and do a full valuation

Just needs a bit of legwork rather than !!!!ing in the wind. Get the property to the bdm for each lender and get an opinion

If all else fails then there are plenty small building societies that do multiple properties on a single title. I did a case for 4 Farm cottages on a single title through Harpenden for instance. Plenty of those small lenders will do it

Sounds like your broker isn't doing the legwork. How many lenders does he deal with? If they have just the high street then you may struggle. If they are 'whole of market' then you'll find a lender somewhere
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to let you know (in case you don't already), even if the tenant in the annex is given notice to leave, they DO NOT have to leave at the end of that notice period. They could still be there months later.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Peas83
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Remember these problems won't go away when you come to sell.

We are looking to extend and I corporate the annex into the property as a whole, as one, so hopefully the will
    I've just done one of these where my first lender rejected as potential Airbnb. Didn't even cross my mind either to be fair so I just sent the Rightmove link to the pre-val team via bdm's. Lenders came back saying they liked the look of it and would be happy to nove forward and do a full valuation

Just needs a bit of legwork rather than !!!!ing in the wind. Get the property to the bdm for each lender and get an opinion

If all else fails then there are plenty small building societies that do multiple properties on a single title. I did a case for 4 Farm cottages on a single title through Harpenden for instance. Plenty of those small lenders will do it

Sounds like your broker isn't doing the legwork. How many lenders does he deal with? If they have just the high street then you may struggle. If they are 'whole of market' then you'll find a lender somewhere

Our broker is saying its largely the council tax banding issue and that the 2 dwellings have no connection... Doesnt seem right and I will be contacting harpenden specifically to discuss. We don't know of another broker to use, sw England.

Thank you for yoyradvice though, and I welcome any more thoughts you may have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure