Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question

Options

Comments

• Good morning,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Applying to the court for an interim charging order costs a creditor £110, which is then added to the judgment debt. Other costs may be added to the debt to cover administration or for updating the Land Registry, but it seems unlikely this would come to over £16,000.

It’s possible this may have been a typing error so I’d recommend contacting the creditor to check the outstanding balance. You can also ask them to provide a breakdown of any fees added.

The terms and conditions of your credit card agreement should also breakdown what fees can be added and when, so it’s worth reading this if you still have the terms and conditions.

If you need any further advice after speaking to the creditor please don’t hesitate to get back in touch. Here are our contact details.

All the best,

Linsi
    Hi, I wonder if I could get some advice please?

I hve an old credit card debt that was defaulted on years ago (approx2010). I have been on various payment arrangements since and was unemployed for a time. The interest was frozen way back in 2010 approx. More recently, through an unfortunate period, I missed a few payments and got a ccj. I am working now and able to pay. The ccj was applied for in December last year but was not finalised by the court until August this year ( as the dca had decided to accept my offer of £17 per month in between but decided in August that it wasn’t good enough any more). I offered them £75 per month with some assistance from my parents which they refused as they said they would prefer to hear what the court had to say. The court set the month payment to £10. I have paid this in full (or over) each month and in time. Restons applies for a charging order, which I attempted to defend on the ground that there is little equity in my home and I do hve other creditors. The court rejected this and the order has gone ahead. My problem is that the ccj was given for a debt of £2041 including the court fees. I have received the final charging order today for £18100.00. Is this possible? Or is it likely just a typo with an extra zero in it? Any response would be great.
  • MMC87
    MMC87 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi

I have a practical question about DMP. If I wanted to make an additional payment (for example, if I did some overtime or sold things on eBay and therefore had some extra cash) how would I go about this?

Do I get account details to send money to? Or is there some sort of process to follow?
  • StepChange_Allen
    StepChange_Allen Posts: 352 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MMC87 wrote: »
    Hi

I have a practical question about DMP. If I wanted to make an additional payment (for example, if I did some overtime or sold things on eBay and therefore had some extra cash) how would I go about this?

Do I get account details to send money to? Or is there some sort of process to follow?

Hi there

Thanks for posting.

I can only really speak on behalf of StepChange on this, so if you're on a DMP with us you can make an extra payment to your plan in this sort of situation yes. We have a team dedicated to assisting all our clients on DMPs and they can process extra payments, or we can provide our bank details instead. Then we'd just ask that you let us know an extra payment has been made so we can update your records.

If you're currently a client with us, please send us a private message (StepChange Private Messages) and we can give you the phone number required.

I hope this helps.

Allen
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • MMC87
    MMC87 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks, Allen. I'm going with StepChange but only just starting up - just wanted to know for the future months.
  • Catty552
    Options
    Hello, I took out a loan in 2004 for £1000. I paid most of it off but fell into difficulties so stopped making repayments. It eventually was sent to debt collectors and again I paid a bit more off it, I applied for ppi refund and this was deducted from the balance of my loan. I assumed I'd paid off the debt as I didn't hear off them for a while, then recently I received a letter from Restons Solicitors saying they put a charge on my property and had sent my debt to an enforcement agency. My debt was now back up to over £1300. So I went to see the CAB and we wrote to Restons asking for a statement. My original loan was taken out with Welcome Finance. I was sent a statement today detailing all the payments I made, missed, the charges added, my ppi being deducted.... everything was on it. However according to my statement my remaining debt of £779.77 was written off on 02/07/2013 and my balance was £0.00. I don't understand why Restons are chasing me for over £1300, have put a charge on my property, got bailiffs involved and wrecked my credit file for debt that doesn't exist. I have called to speak to them but had to leave a message for someone to call me back. I'm not sure what's going on, could anyone help please. Thank you
  • Hello

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forum.

If you’ve had confirmation showing that the debt was written off and no additional payments were needed, then I’m also unsure why Restons Solicitors have taken further action against you.

I’d recommend raising this with them when they call you back. If you’re not able to resolve this with the person you speak to then I’d suggest making a complaint.

You can do this by writing to the following address and it’s a good idea to include a copy of your statement.

Complaints Department
    Restons Solicitors Limited
    Trinity Chambers
    800 Mandarin Court
    Centre Park
    Warrington
    Cheshire
    WA1 1GG

Restons Solicitors will then have 8 weeks to try to resolve your complaint. If you’re not happy with their response, you can escalate your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

After speaking to them if you’re liable for this debt, you can apply to pay the judgement by installments. The process to follow will depend on when the judgement was entered. You can call our Helpline, who’ll be able to explain which process you need to follow and provide further advice about managing this debt. You can find our contact details here.

I hope this helps,

Linsi
    Catty552 wrote: »
    Hello, I took out a loan in 2004 for £1000. I paid most of it off but fell into difficulties so stopped making repayments. It eventually was sent to debt collectors and again I paid a bit more off it, I applied for ppi refund and this was deducted from the balance of my loan. I assumed I'd paid off the debt as I didn't hear off them for a while, then recently I received a letter from Restons Solicitors saying they put a charge on my property and had sent my debt to an enforcement agency. My debt was now back up to over £1300. So I went to see the CAB and we wrote to Restons asking for a statement. My original loan was taken out with Welcome Finance. I was sent a statement today detailing all the payments I made, missed, the charges added, my ppi being deducted.... everything was on it. However according to my statement my remaining debt of £779.77 was written off on 02/07/2013 and my balance was £0.00. I don't understand why Restons are chasing me for over £1300, have put a charge on my property, got bailiffs involved and wrecked my credit file for debt that doesn't exist. I have called to speak to them but had to leave a message for someone to call me back. I'm not sure what's going on, could anyone help please. Thank you
  • Shermo110
    Options
    Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on a matter. We are currently struggling as a family with a little issue and would like to know our best approach to this situation. My wife is currently with step change on a debt issue. This debt issue was originally kept quiet from me until we bought a house together.

When the debt issue originally occurred, my wifes mother remortgaged some of her house to clear the debt, so that is a £500 bill she pays every month.

The other debt she accumulated from the sale of her flat which was without a lodger renting it and the sale stalled for 6 months. After a bit of help with her card she got into a debt plan with step change and pays into that every month.

With the mortgage on our house and having had a little boy with the rediculous cost for nursery fees we are struggling to meet the bills each month.

They are met and i havn’t missed any payments but i have taken a loan out myself to pay for our wedding, and a few to help with the cost. We also have one car owned and one car on finance. I am looking to the future and would like to put a stop to these bills before it ever gets to a point where we might be in trouble.

So my question is, we have accrued some equity within our property over the 5 years, and would it make sense to remortgage to pay it all off and increase the mortgage? Or if we were to sell and downsize would i be able to get another mortgage with the wife’s step change plan in mind.

Our house means a lot to us so a remortgage would be the ideal situation. We would only need 30% of the equity made.

Hope you can help

Many thanks
  • truckcompanyx
    Options
    We are a double federal employee household. My wife left her fed job after 23 years and has a substantial TSP balance.
    Her income loss, school loans and vehicle home and credit card debt have been significantly
    nagging on both of us and we are considering taking the tax and penalty hit by withdrawing
    her TSP. Even with the tax/penalties...this would eliminate everything but the home loan OR the school loan and free up over $3500/month in cash (currently going to credit card, vehicles, home, 2nd mort)
    Even with eliminating her TSP, she still has FERS retirement upon reaching MRA. Additionally, I have my own TSP (and FERS) account and the elimination of this debt could allow maxing out on my TSP. I'm a special category retirement, and can retire in 4 years (but don't have to retire until another 3 years). It's seems that debt free by using TSP would allow for so much less stress while still being able to grow my (our) remaining TSP.
    Are there any other early withdrawal options for TSP at 48yrs old?
    Lifestyle is not looking to travel in retirement. 7 years left to pay off home loan.

Any suggestions?
    I'm leaning towards taking the tax hit and penalty and ending up with only the home or school loan on the other side of this, which seems rather liberating.
  • Hi

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

It’s a great idea to think about the future and look at your options before any of your debts get out of control.

Without a better understanding of your financial situation I really couldn’t say what the best option is at the moment, but remortgaging sounds like a potential solution.

If your wife has a poor credit rating it may be harder to get a new mortgage or re-mortgage but it’s certainly not impossible.

As you wife is already getting help from us I’d recommend you both call us together so we can have a chat about your options. Here are our contact details.

You can also find more information about mortgages and using equity in your home on our website, here’s the link.

We look forward to hearing from you both soon.

Linsi
    Shermo110 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on a matter. We are currently struggling as a family with a little issue and would like to know our best approach to this situation. My wife is currently with step change on a debt issue. This debt issue was originally kept quiet from me until we bought a house together.

When the debt issue originally occurred, my wifes mother remortgaged some of her house to clear the debt, so that is a £500 bill she pays every month.

The other debt she accumulated from the sale of her flat which was without a lodger renting it and the sale stalled for 6 months. After a bit of help with her card she got into a debt plan with step change and pays into that every month.

With the mortgage on our house and having had a little boy with the rediculous cost for nursery fees we are struggling to meet the bills each month.

They are met and i havn’t missed any payments but i have taken a loan out myself to pay for our wedding, and a few to help with the cost. We also have one car owned and one car on finance. I am looking to the future and would like to put a stop to these bills before it ever gets to a point where we might be in trouble.

So my question is, we have accrued some equity within our property over the 5 years, and would it make sense to remortgage to pay it all off and increase the mortgage? Or if we were to sell and downsize would i be able to get another mortgage with the wife’s step change plan in mind.

Our house means a lot to us so a remortgage would be the ideal situation. We would only need 30% of the equity made.

Hope you can help

Many thanks
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    We are a double federal employee household. My wife left her fed job after 23 years and has a substantial TSP balance.....

As this is a UK-based forum, I doubt many folk on here will be able to give any meaningful advice regarding USA retirement planning. You'd probably be better seeking advice from a US-based forum if possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure