Capita Pensions Administration woes

As a retired utilities employee, my employers pension and my in work salary was administered by Capita (Hartshead).
Generally, their record has been quite good, until this year at least.
The March payment advice slip is the most important of the whole year as it contains the P60 tax information required by HMRC. Capita stress that it is a valuable document.
This year, the March advice never turned up, so no P60. The advice has always been sent out before payment, generally on the last day of the month, and where Bank Holidays intervene as this year, the advice is sent out earlier.
The end of the tax year passed and no P60. Eventually, a letter copy of the March payment arrived in mid-April, but still no P60. I tried contacting them as well as the pension scheme trustees, but got no reply from either.
A few days ago, a hand addressed letter arrived with a screen print of the advice note with even less information, but some extra hacker-friendly stuff like links to their internal system, but again no P60.
Whether or not this is linked to their far greater financial troubles, I don't know, but an explanation from them would be helpful.
I just have to hope that HMRC accept my PAYE calculations and don't ask for the original documents. I will be taking this up with the Pensions Ombudsman Service.
I have just read their press statement regarding the £700 million rights issue and you would be forgiven for thinking that it was a different company, but I think their troubles go a lot deeper

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ask the trustees for a copy of the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure and use this to complain that (a) they have not responded to your correspondence and (b) you have not been provided with the required P60 information. It is their responsibility to sort this out.

The Pensions Ombudsman won't take the case until you have completed the IDRP process.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There will be a get out for them as they are not required to send this information until June to HMRC. They used to be required to send it to an employee by 31st May but I "think" that this is now also June.
  • I suspect that this is a Capita mess.
    Another colleague in the same scheme have not had an original document either.
    The P60 is an integral part of the payment advice, so no payment advice, no P60.
    As a keen SA submitter, I like to get it done and dusted by 6th April to give HMRC time to pick it over.
    The trustees are no better and the regular pension newsletter with any contact details has now dried up. Any changes to P60 dates would have been in the newsletter. When your advice slip comes out in a hand-written envelope in the form of a screen print, it suggests some sort of system meltdown. All the other organisations I need tax information from manage it well before April, but Capita can't
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 23 April 2018 at 6:28PM
    There will be a get out for them as they are not required to send this information until June to HMRC. They used to be required to send it to an employee by 31st May but I "think" that this is now also June.

Employers and pension payers no longer send copies of P60's to HMRC. Similar information is filed under the Real Time Information system and the deadline for the final info for the tax year is 20 April after the tax year ends.

AFAIK there has been no change to the time limit for an employer/pension payer to provide their employees/pensioners a P60.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    I suspect that this is a Capita mess.
    Another colleague in the same scheme have not had an original document either.
    The P60 is an integral part of the payment advice, so no payment advice, no P60.
    As a keen SA submitter, I like to get it done and dusted by 6th April to give HMRC time to pick it over.
    The trustees are no better and the regular pension newsletter with any contact details has now dried up. Any changes to P60 dates would have been in the newsletter. When your advice slip comes out in a hand-written envelope in the form of a screen print, it suggests some sort of system meltdown. All the other organisations I need tax information from manage it well before April, but Capita can't

As above - start the IDRP process to ensure you get an answer from the trustees. They are the ones who need to badger Capita; it isn't for the member to do so.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-pension/how-your-tax-is-paid

At the end of the tax year you'll get a P60 from your pension provider showing how much tax you've paid.

The tax year does not end in March.

http://www.kentpensionfund.co.uk/local-government/pensioner-member-receiving-a-pension/payment-information/p60-information

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) instruct that employers and pension providers must send out P60s by 31 May. Your P60 from us is combined with your April payslip and sent at the end of April each year.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    xylophone wrote: »
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-pension/how-your-tax-is-paid

At the end of the tax year you'll get a P60 from your pension provider showing how much tax you've paid.

The tax year does not end in March.

http://www.kentpensionfund.co.uk/local-government/pensioner-member-receiving-a-pension/payment-information/p60-information

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) instruct that employers and pension providers must send out P60s by 31 May. Your P60 from us is combined with your April payslip and sent at the end of April each year.

The tax year doesn't end in March, but the last payment of the tax year is made in March for those paid monthly. If you read OP's post again, you'll see they normally get their P60 info with the March payslip. Being a retired 'utilities employee' doesn't mean that what Kent has to say about the LGPS (which doesn't have trustees) is relevant to their complaint - which also includes a grumble about the trustees not replying to their concern.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    but the last payment of the tax year is made in March for those paid monthly.

Obviously.

It doesn't change the fact that the P60 does not have to be issued until after the tax year has ended nor the fact that there is no official requirement to provide pensioner/employee with same before 31 May.

I don't see the relevance of your comment concerning Trustees to whether or not a pension administrator has to provide a P60 in the time scale specified.

And the point of the Kent link was more to point out the 31 May date than the fact that they happen to provide it with the April payslip.

Certainly the OP has a right to complain if the administrator of his pension does not reply to his letters relating to his legitimate concerns.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure