University Challenge x 2

Options

Comments

• Plain_Jane
    Options
    Some more money saving done today!

Phoned Sky - was going to leave but they've given me another deal :£12.50 broadband, £17 Tv and £18.99 line rental. A saving of £10.50 so not to be sniffed at.

Friday is payday can't wait to pay off some more debt!!
    Just one figure from now on - Total Debt as at 27.8.18 - £44,061.26.

Target to be under £40k by 31.12.18.
  • Plain_Jane
    Options
    :eek:Hi All

So payday came yesterday and I'm ashamed to say the debt went UP :eek::eek: and not down! By a whole 4.79%.

The main reason for this is that I was reading some of your diaries advice from others advising to get rid of their overdrafts. Ours was quite big £1300 and I transferred it from my 0% credit card to pay it off. Obviously, the OD wasn't in the original balance so this was added on. I also got the bank to reduce it to £250 so I can't go back to it.

Both DT's now have their dates through from Uni - DT1 going on 16th September and DT2 on 23rd September. I'm all over the place emotionally. Where did those nearly 19 years go??We went to IK$a yesterday and stocked up on stuff and spent £177 - not bad for two I didn't think and now have everything (as far as I know), we then went to Mr T's and got some store cupboard ingredients like pasta! One of them is a good cook and the other isn't so I don't know how she is going to get on but I know she will survive. Grandma has given us £1000 to put in an EF for them in case they get into grief - I'm in charge of it (hope that's a good thing!!). She's also going to give them £25 a week towards food bless her. We worked out the sums and we are £3k in the hole a year for EACH DT on accommodation (although we haven't had DT1's costs through but assuming they are the same as DT1). So I've had to budget that and we are going to be short. I've decided to put the first third on my 0% CC (I know but no other way). Then the 4 months in between we can save for the next third and hopefully they will get jobs in the first month which can help.

The good news is I paid for all this out of this month's pay so just hoping that we can get through the next month.

I'm embarrassed to say that we are going to Devon next week - just the 4 of us to recharge after a very stressful year and also to be prepared for what is to come. We haven't spent much time together as I work in a stressful job and so does DH. The good thing is that DH had a bonus in March so that paid for the cottage for the week and the spending money so it is all covered. We're relaxing and dog walking so hoping to bring some £££ back.

As for the rest of this weekend, we need to find more things to sell as all items have now gone and helped paid for food and petrol in the last week.

Was going to post a new SOA this weekend but it seems to be changing daily so I will do one when I know DT2's costs.

I get so impatient that we only have our income once a month and not through the month -it means once this months bills are accounted for we are just waiting for Direct Debits to come out etc until next month and it is a waiting game. Hopefully we can make some sales and pay off a few bits in between. I sent an extra £130 to the Virgin card this month wahey!!

Have also worked out that the first loan won't be paid until November 2018 so we are not going to be able to make large inroads into the debt until then - unless DH gets another bonus or I get a bit extra at work or selling stuff. Thought about getting a Saturday job but I'm already full time and about half the year I work like an idiot anyway.

Sorry to ramble on - it's therapeutic!

Enjoy the bank holiday all xx :D:D

• Plain_Jane
    Options
    Found YNAB last night and spent all evening loading it with my budget and spends. Love it. Please tell me it's worth the £££! I had a trial 6 months ago but didn't use it so didn't get the option of a free 30 days!! :D

• Narola1976
    Options
    Plain_Jane wrote: »
    Found YNAB last night and spent all evening loading it with my budget and spends. Love it. Please tell me it's worth the £££! I had a trial 6 months ago but didn't use it so didn't get the option of a free 30 days!! :D

Hi Jane. You have absolutely done the right thing in getting YNAB! I love it too. Do listen to the videos and webinars if you get time. You tube has loads. They are quick. It's more than just an app....follow the 4 rules as this I am convinced will leads to true financial freedom. It will also be great for the twins. YNAB is free for students I believe.
    Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
    Current Total = £25534.10
    33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!
  • Plain_Jane
    Options
    Thanks Narola loving it so far I presume I can put my credit card accounts in there too? Will look later. :j

• Plain_Jane
    Options
    So I've added on my credit cards onto YNAB - not good seeing so many minuses :(

I'm still a bit confused (doesn't take much) but I'm hoping as I start to add transactions in all will become clear.

I know that this debt busting is going to take a long time so I've set a goal for 5 years which is very depressing.

As soon as I can I'm going to start snowballing - the first loan to clear is November 2018 so just got to stick at it.

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Hope you have a great time in Devon. You sound very organised with getting things ready for the twins. I have yet to do the "getting ready for uni" shop with DD!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Students only usually stay in halls in year 1. Years 2 onwards they tend to go into shared houses so then the rent is usually paid monthly. The only trouble is they often have to pay throughout the whole year even if they are not there but are home on holidays.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Plain_Jane
    Options
    Thanks Honeysuckle and Enthusiastic

We bought a bit at a time for uni - hopefully it's all done now !!

Oh I didn't know that - it might be easier to budget next year then - and hopefully cheaper.

Just listed 11 items on fleabay and more on the local fb pages - the weather is too nice for people looking though - I think they are all out :)

• Plain_Jane
    Options
    I can't believe it's been a week since I last posted.

We are in Devon sitting in front of a log fire. All is wonderful except for my worn out brain worrying about debt.

We did a big shop yesterday and so far haven't eaten out or had coffe out at all. Hubby is making lovely breakfasts and we are just having snacks until dinner time which tonight is spaghetti bolognese.

The dogs are enjoying their walks around here.

But ..... both DT's accommodations at Uni are expecting their first instalments on Wednesday. That's well over £4K :eek::eek:. I've had to money transfer the lot to cover until the first maintenance payment comes through in October. Scary stuff. And then the maintenance loan will be £2600ish so won't cover it. I'm YNABing like a mad person and moving stuff around and budgeting but this is all adding to our debt and, of course, our monthly outgoings.

I think that things are going to get more difficult before they get easier - DT1 goes a week on Saturday and the other the week after that. So I'm dealing with those emotions on top of it all and the smallest thing sets me off. They are both keeping an eye on the job situation and should be in a position to get one almost as soon as they move in. I'm even thinking of getting a second job myself to help ends meet - I'm already full time.

I've been on anti depressants for years no was getting to the stage where I felt strong enough to come off them but the money situation along with everything else is making me feel otherwise.

My emergency fund is dwindling as well :(:(

Sorry to ramble on!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport