P45 woes

Options
I left my employer back in July and have been temping since then. The temp agency have never asked for my P45 so I didn’t think about it. I know silly me!

I now have a permanent job starting January and they have asked to see a letterfrom HMRC or my P45 with my details as part of proving my eligibility to work in the UK.

Having not received it I contacted my old employer and they said “Oh yea we gave it to Harry to hand to you” so I asked Harry and he has lost it! Surely they shouldn’t have just given it to someone else to give to me. I already know I can’t get a copy and tbh I’m really angry.

It’s not about sorting my tax out, I’m not worried about that as I will fill out a P46, but I need it as my new company have asked for it as proof. I do have my P60 so hoping that will suffice.
Pooky xx :j

Comments

• pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You would need a P45 from your last employer I.e the temping agency
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The employer should have kept a copy I think. Phone the tax office and ask for advice. The employer should have records of tax paid on your behalf.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A P45 isn't really needed any more thanks to the new realtime reporting of PAYE that employers have to use with HMRC. Anything with your name and NI number on will suffice so a P60 will do.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pooky73 wrote: »
    I now have a permanent job starting January and they have asked to see a letterfrom HMRC or my P45 with my details as part of proving my eligibility to work in the UK.
    These are by no means the only documents which can be used to prove your RTW in the UK, and in fact relying on one such piece of paper would be very sloppy practice.

If you have a UK passport, that should be enough for RTW. If you don't, or if other ID checks are being carried out, then ask what else is acceptable.

The P45 from the agency is going to be more use than the one that's been lost, so worth finding out how promptly they will issue that.

And while employers must keep a record of the information on the P45, I don't think there's any obligation to keep a copy of the P45 itself. The three parts are all passed to the employee.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Me2you
    Me2you Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    You can get NI details from HMRC website. You don’t need a P45
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes they really shouldn’t have given anything to a mate of yours - I know mine tackled about me not receiving my last payslip and HR soon shut them down and contacted me direct about it following my friend’s helpfulness! :o

As for new employer asking for P45 it’s not something that is going to be a barrier - every job I’ve started bar one this year alone have worked of the new starter form/P46 for what it’s worth. I’ve was even cutting it fine going to start new job getting hold of bank statement, copy of utility bill as dictated etc, it also included demand for P45 but I think some of these lines must be from a template - as - first day blow me down, after making sure I had most of these on me, it was not asked for, sight and copy of my passport was enough for now.
  • pooky73
    Options
    It’s not for tax issues, I know I can fill out a P46, I’m an accountant lol. Since the new privacy laws your ex employer should not be keeping a copy of your P45 as you are no longer an employee.

I think I just needed to vent that their actions had boggled my mind.

The new company are asking for my passport, a letter from my bank proving my address and bank details AND my P45 or a recent letter from the HMRC with my NINO and personal details. Apparently a P60 isn’t recent enough for them (I asked).

As for the P45 from the temping agency, it won’t be here in time for the new company to verify my details which is all I need it for at this stage. Hopefully I can go onto the HMRC website and login to my self assessment and get something from there.

More than miffed with my ex employer though! :(
    Pooky xx :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The new company are asking for my passport, a letter from my bank proving my address and bank details AND my P45 or a recent letter from the HMRC with my NINO and personal details. Apparently a P60 isn’t recent enough for them (I asked).

How to do it online. This will give you a letter you can print out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-get-your-national-insurance-number-in-writing-ca5403
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It’s not for tax issues, I know I can fill out a P46, I’m an accountant lol. Since the new privacy laws your ex employer should not be keeping a copy of your P45 as you are no longer an employee. - That is not the test. As a professional it would be wise to get GDPR training. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for ex-employers to keep records.

I think I just needed to vent that their actions had boggled my mind.

As for the P45 from the temping agency, it won’t be here in time for the new company to verify my details which is all I need it for at this stage. Hopefully I can go onto the HMRC website and login to my self assessment and get something from there.

More than miffed with my ex employer though! :(

And probably with valid reason, but unless you've got a time machine... you need to deal with the problem as it stands now
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you asked what it is they are trying to check? RTW is established through a passport. DBS or other identity checks should be OK with a variety of other things. This just sounds nit-picking ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport