Advice re sole trader debtqqqq

Options
I have a sole trader who owes me money but he is now saying he won't pay as it is in his wife's name and she is Mrs X trading as XYZ. However he is the one who always telephoned to place the orders. I don't want to lose this money as it is quite a lot to me but I am unsure how to proceed. I think my contract is with him T/A XYZ but I should appreciate advice!

Comments

• Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    What is the name on the invoices? Did they sign terms of business with you?
  • Help_needed_please_2
    Options
    The trading as name is on the invoices and they didn't sign terms of business unfortunately.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,929 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

If they refuse to pay, all you can do is follow the debt collection route.

You can either do this yourself using template letters off the internet, or engage a debt collection agency to do it for you.

There is always the option of using moneyclaim.com.

Is it just one bill he disputes or the whole arrangement ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Help_needed_please_2
    Options
    He was paying, not well, but paying and is now saying he won't pay anything to go after his wife who has not really had any involvement. I have newspaper articles stating that he is the owner (he is in retail) so I was hoping this would be enough to go after him as trading as XYZ. Thank you all for the advice.
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I sympathise with you - it's a horrid situation.

If you go to Court you have to show you have followed a debt collection process - I am self employed and have a "nice chasing letter" then a "not so nice chasing letter" then a "not at all nice chasing letter" and finally a "final demand" letter - keep a record of your conversations etc and I will be happy to share the latter if you wish!
  • Help_needed_please_2
    Options
    Thank you so much, this is much appreciated! I will start nice and polite it sometimes gets better results!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure