Electric Shaver recommendation

Options
I'm looking for another electric shaver. Every one I buy nowadays it rarely lasts more than 6 months before it feels like the hairs are being plucked or it fails to cut efficiently. Replacement foils and blades rarely seem to work well either.

There's probably a simple explanation why, I've bought my last three shavers cheap from Aldi!

Can anyone recommend a model which the cutters stay sharp for a long time OR

that replacement cutters can be bought cheaply and work as well as the original

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Braun...........
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great shaver for the money, USB charging.

SweetLF 3D Rechargeable IPX7 Waterproof Electric Shaver Wet and Dry Men's Rotary Shavers Electric Shaving Razors with Pop-up Trimmer - Blue.
    Available from Amazon.
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • peter021072
    Options
    Thanks, how long until you had to replace the cutters and foils on these, and how much did these cost?

Roddydogs, I'm looking for a specific model.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 October 2019 at 1:42AM
    Options
    I dislike all but the rotary blade on the Philishave. I tried one of those Braun foil jobs and it was absolutely terrible and struggled to cut. If you like a stubbly cut then a Braun might suit IME. lol

I do not know what model mine is, it has Speed-X on it but no model number. It looks like it is part of the 8200 Series possibly HQ8245 It's re-chargeable or corded and I use it mainly corded.

The genuine heads are very expensive but compatibles, which admittedly probably won't last anywhere near as long, are below £15 on ebay. I had it repaired under warranty no questions asked in the first 2 or 3 years, where the head retainer cracked/broke when I dropped it onto a solid floor. I have replaced the heads once. That is in something like 15 years.

If you consider £15 once every year it compares favourably to the expense of wet shaving. Or £38.99 from the Philips shop every 10 years for the genuine part.

These recommend replacing them every 2 years, they are less than half the price of genuine spares and are merely compatibles.
    £38 on amazon for originals. More recent shaving heads are cheaper.

I do not get along with wet shaving and therefore will only use an electric shaver. Mine gets heavy use to get a close shave so it has lasted well.
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Braun...........

+1

Had mine for years.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    I'm looking for another electric shaver. Every one I buy nowadays it rarely lasts more than 6 months before it feels like the hairs are being plucked or it fails to cut efficiently. Replacement foils and blades rarely seem to work well either.

There's probably a simple explanation why, I've bought my last three shavers cheap from Aldi!

Can anyone recommend a model which the cutters stay sharp for a long time OR

that replacement cutters can be bought cheaply and work as well as the original
    BTW Aldi hardwares usually have 3 year warranties therefore it might be worth keeping the receipt and returning it if it fails. Free shaves for 6 months is very MSE and can't be bad IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure