PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    janb5 I do as well as gravy will freeze very well in an ice cube tray :) and a couple of cubes do me very well once zapped in the m'wave

I will put a photo on my f/b page when they are all done Dunno how to post one on here Up to 70 now and some one gave me some more buttons last night at the pub so I am going to keep going until all the buttons are used up I think I have about 120 odd in a bag at the moment so extra poppies will be made :):):)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lost my post yesterday & didn't realize :(

Mend: DS2's new trousers taken in at the waist (minimise?) my denim jacket had a small tear so that's been mended. 2 dresses pinned ready to alter.
    Minimise: Sorted out my cupboard of washing liquids, stain removers etc & found 2 dylon dyes that have been there for years- gone on freecycle.
    Make do: DH's trike is back on the road so went for a lovely run with him - had a brekky in a beachside cafe,both of us were still full so only had cheese on toast for tea!
    Small list of jobs today - DH is digging up the spanish bluebells that spread like wildfire - tbh it probably wont make a lot of difference 'cos all the babies will be up next year!
    Some food shopping to do - I have a list, and I need to do a thorough house clean as I've got visitors in 2 weeks. It wont take me long but need to make up beds etc. I feel another list coming on!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    My stock of cleaning products is slowly going down on the minimising front. I'm not buying kitchen and bathroom sprays but refilling those I have with diluted foam cleaners and these seem to be working okay. I still have loads of these. I was sent bottles to trial, and have large quantities left.

Bought a new coffee frother that actually works prooerly and made myself throw out the old one that worked when it felt like it. I took the batteries out of the old one of course.
    These frothers save me a little money as they mix sweetener properly in to teas and coffees, meaning that one does the work of two. They are also fun to use. I use rechargeable batteries with these, of course. It has rechargeable batteries.

Am@zon Prime delivery with this, so took advantage of a good price to have it here within 18 hours or so of ordering.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :hello: hi, just popped in to boast about mending (sort of!) a large glass jar solar lantern that had stopped glowing.....I think the bulb gave out.I bought a 99p solar bulb shaped like a light bulb, stood it in glass inside the lantern and hey presto, my lanten glows in the dark again !! Very happy as it is very decorative and too nice to throw away !!
    Have a good weekend everyone !!
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • Athome1
    Athome1 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a clever idea Cazbear!👍
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I've not been in for ages, it's half term so I'm catching up
    uqwf7h.th.jpg
    kE27BR.th.jpg
    THis is a pair of my sons jeans they are his favourites and we're starting to get very threadbare as you can see, I jokingly said I would patch them if he was desperate to keep them, they keep turning up on the mending pile and he's been asked several time where he bought them.
    They've just had some more added to them
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mrs-moneypenny - your son's jeans look fab :)

I've not long returned from a weeks holiday staying with my mum and dad. Dad loves gardening so I got a few tips from him. I've returned home with lots of homemade jams and chutneys which is lovely. I also picked up a throat infection which is not so lovely :(

Managed to find my two summer jackets before I went away. They were in with some of OH's stuff.

Not much else to report, just trying to mend me at the moment ;).
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
  • Lynplatinum
    Lynplatinum Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya All

Well, its a year today that I moved into my forever home in my dream location in wonderful Cornwall. :j Yes it is persissting down with rain but I have a smile on my face as I sit here typing in my conservatory. Yesterday I went on an Age UK trip with an older friend of mine to Polperro - very pretty full of lovely eateries and art galleries but a steeeep hill to climb up out of the valley (which I am trying to kid myself will work off the calories of a a large roast lamb dinner and ice creams later on!) On the way home I just looked at the fantastic sea views and thanked my lucky stars and MSE and my MSE friends and Martin for getting me here. Without their moneysaving ideas and support I would not have made it!

Anyhoo - havent been on here as was off again this time to Bedfordshire to a friend's birthday, followed by a wedding of another friend - plus staying with another friend in between who has just got his own place! I did spend out though on beer (first set of friends are beer drinkers and live distressingly close to a really really good pub :o - since I was staying with them I felt I had to shout my round) and on food (I took my other friend out for a couple of meals) also my son (DS2)came up from Hastings and I was able to take him out to Waggamama forhis birthday which was lovely! Plus the cost of petrol of course! (about 80 pounds up and down adn then another 40 or so running about!)

So in the MM&M spirit, I need to cut back so am trying for as many NSDs as possible and to sell carp I have found since the move! I have no excuses now as DIL and DS1 and DG + woofs have settled into a routine here and DIL has offered to help with posting onto fleebay as my patience with their rituals is minimal! :D

So will be going Wednesday to Wednesday. Thus far since my return on last Tues eve I have had: Wed; Sat and today as NSDs (in my strictest times I only spent one or two days per week). However, I shall spend tomorrow but that is going to be an allowed spend of 5 pounds for my yoga class.

Making do - still following the meal planning and providing food and cleaning products for 3 adults + a 16 month old (who eats like most 4 year olds) and two very large dogs for 4ish pound a week. Bless Lidil!!
    DIL making presents out of shells, stones some beads bought in a chazzer and a bit of superglue and thread (clever girl)

Minimising - another book and DS1's old jacket went to charity shop. Loads of old blankets and towels went to doggie and moggie rescue place (donated to me by friends). Getting down stash of food that only took a year to build up!

Mending - none yet this week but have a lovely pair of trousers that I bought last year and am going to Royal Cornwall show for free with a friend (her partner is part of the farming community and so he gets several free tickets). If the weather is good said trousers would be ideal so need to get out the needle and thread........

Frugal onward freinds
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yay I have finished the poppies and sewn all the buttons in place 100 in total and I am now having a bit of a rest tonight I will take a photo and probably put it on F/b as I know how to do that,not sure how to move it on to here thought made do with a pile of salad bits and bobs for dinner tonight and finished the peach yogurt in the fridge

I still have a pot of natural yogurt to get through.DD gave me a pot of rhubarb and ginger preserve so a dollop of that will get mixed with some natural yogurt. Enough ham left for tomorrows lunch with salad, tomorrow night I am at the pub quiz so no need to cook at all :):):) trying to minimise lots of paper work I have an Ipad, a MacAir laptop and a desktop computer and I think its time a lot of paper work was shredded as it really isn't needed anymore :):):) I swear it multiplys in my study during the night :):):)
    Have a good evening all

JackieO xxx
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lyn - can't believe how quickly the time has gone! You sound so happy in your home. Jackie - well done with all those poppies - a mammoth task for such a worthwhile cause.
    We have visitors coming on Friday and have been too busy last week to do anything indoors so today have managed to clean all the upstairs windows, strip and remake two beds, two loads of washing, hoovered and dusted upstairs and cleaned both bathrooms - phew! I'm out tomorrow with two girlfriends to the blue Swedish emporium ( just for a look, honest!) so the downstairs will be done on Wednesday. Ive a couple of sewing jobs to do but TBH they will only take about an hour tops. (The jeans look fab MrsM). Been doing loads of work in the garden while the weather has been good and it's looking good rather swish if I do say so ;)
    Have a good evening all
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure