Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Heady_Tulip
    Options
    I wondered if I could get some advice.
    Having watched Martin's show last night I am thinking of challenging my council tax band. I bought my house 2 years ago as a cash sale as the house has subsidence. Built in 2006, the houses were originally sold at £360k but within two years residents discovered subsidence issues with a number of them and made claims against the builders. Some of the houses were underpinned but the house I have was not, instead the previous owners chose to accept a cash sum in compensation.
    When it came to sell the house they then found that it's valuation was greatly depreciated and that it was not possible for prospective buyers to get a mortgage on the property. I purchased the house for £93K in May 2016.
    Is it possible for me to make a claim against council tax band given that the value of the house is less than a 3rd of the neighbours houses? (which are identical in size but obviously do not have the subsidence issue.)
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you Tulip
  • it looks like other comparable properties are at the same band as me, but after completing the online tool here and with nationwide is should be eligible to move from a band c to b...has anyone any experience of going through the process when others in the street have not? thanks
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wondered if I could get some advice.
    Having watched Martin's show last night I am thinking of challenging my council tax band. I bought my house 2 years ago as a cash sale as the house has subsidence. Built in 2006, the houses were originally sold at £360k but within two years residents discovered subsidence issues with a number of them and made claims against the builders. Some of the houses were underpinned but the house I have was not, instead the previous owners chose to accept a cash sum in compensation.
    When it came to sell the house they then found that it's valuation was greatly depreciated and that it was not possible for prospective buyers to get a mortgage on the property. I purchased the house for £93K in May 2016.
    Is it possible for me to make a claim against council tax band given that the value of the house is less than a 3rd of the neighbours houses? (which are identical in size but obviously do not have the subsidence issue.)
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you Tulip

I have dealt with several CT appeals where there was a subsidence problem. You will not be able to make a valid appeal as you are well out of time, but you can ask the VOA for a band review. You should also provide evidence of subsidence such as a structural engineer's report. If the house has since been underpinned, then this has to be taken into account.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    it looks like other comparable properties are at the same band as me, but after completing the online tool here and with nationwide is should be eligible to move from a band c to b...has anyone any experience of going through the process when others in the street have not? thanks

Nationwide house price indices are not accurate, so your band may be correct. But in most cases no harm in asking for a band review or appealing the band if you are within the time limit.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Chris_Thorp
    Options
    Am I able to make a claim for a reduction in the Council Tax band in a house I used to live in until 2007?
  • P1005613
    Options
    Having watched the show last night I am following Martins instructions to see if you have a claim. When you look back to see what your property was worth in 1991, does it matter whether the property was actually built after that date, i.e 1998? or is it purely a paper exercise to find out what it would have been worth in 1991 if it existed? Clearly the property was given a tax band when I bought it new but it was based on the figure that I actually paid for it in 1998.
  • trowieuk
    Options
    in wales. Just got off the phone with VOA, gave several examples of houses in the street that are similar or the same as mine but mine has a higher banding. The lady told me the Tax Band is not worked out via its value e.g number of rooms/improvements it is only worked out by the amount of land the residence takes up (including all gardens) - which is weird because the Bands are categorized via value. Have i just been fobbed off?
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    Am I able to make a claim for a reduction in the Council Tax band in a house I used to live in until 2007?

No. Only the current CT payer can ask for a band reduction.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    P1005613 wrote: »
    Having watched the show last night I am following Martins instructions to see if you have a claim. When you look back to see what your property was worth in 1991, does it matter whether the property was actually built after that date, i.e 1998? or is it purely a paper exercise to find out what it would have been worth in 1991 if it existed? Clearly the property was given a tax band when I bought it new but it was based on the figure that I actually paid for it in 1998.

Probably not. Your home was most likely compared to similar homes already banded whose bands would have been based on 1991 sales.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    trowieuk wrote: »
    in wales. Just got off the phone with VOA, gave several examples of houses in the street that are similar or the same as mine but mine has a higher banding. The lady told me the Tax Band is not worked out via its value e.g number of rooms/improvements it is only worked out by the amount of land the residence takes up (including all gardens) - which is weird because the Bands are categorized via value. Have i just been fobbed off?

Probably, unless they have a different method of ascertaining CT bands west of Offa's Dyke.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback