Advice needed - CCJ from previous address just shown up on credit report after 26 months

Options
Hi everyone, I’m looking for some constructive advice on what to next please. My partner just found out yesterday after updating her Experian account that she has a CCJ against her name from an address we lived at previously (having left the address approximately 3 years ago). She only found this out from being told by the Experian that there was something affecting her credit but she needed to add all previous addresses and then wait until,yesterday for the system to update. The CCJ is now 26 months old. This has brought her credit rating down into the Poor bracket.

We were planning to apply for a mortgage within the next few months (we are first time buyers) but now I’m worried that it will be impossible for us to get approved for this from what I have been reading on this forum and elsewhere online since last night. My credit rating is over 900 but we are looking to have both of our names/earnings put onto the mortgage to be able to afford it.

My question is, what are the best next steps after settling the CCJ fee which I will be doing today (£348)? Is there any way we would be able to get the CCJ off of my partner’s record and, if not, is it still possible to get a mortgage approved?

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Eagles1905
    Eagles1905 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a similar issue last year for an unpaid private parking charge notice. I just wanted the CCJ off my credit report so I contacted the issuing court and paid the amount off in full (going against quite a lot of advice on this forum)

It then cost another £15.00 to the court to apply for a certificate of satisfaction to ensure the registry and associated CRA's were updated. No sign of the CCJ on any credit report and no long term damage to my credit profile.
    “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”
  • Nick1982
    Options
    Thanks so much for that. We will contact the court once we have settled this and follow what you did. Fingers crossed.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Eagles1905 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue last year for an unpaid private parking charge notice. I just wanted the CCJ off my credit report so I contacted the issuing court and paid the amount off in full (going against quite a lot of advice on this forum)

It then cost another £15.00 to the court to apply for a certificate of satisfaction to ensure the registry and associated CRA's were updated. No sign of the CCJ on any credit report and no long term damage to my credit profile.
    Nick1982 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that. We will contact the court once we have settled this and follow what you did. Fingers crossed.

A word of caution, this only applies if you pay the debt in full within 30 calander days, as this has been 26 months, you are now stuck with it for the full 6 years i`m afraid, whatever you do.

My advice would be to look into getting the judgement set aside, it would depend on the circumstances, but it may be a possibility, as the court papers went to your old address.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Nick1982
    Options
    Ok great, thanks. Will look into this tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure