Poll: Is this board a good idea or not

Options
2»

Comments

• daveyj792
    daveyj792 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Mamzie wrote: »
    Hello, Mr Tesco, Mr Asda, Sainsburys and Waitys...

This is very obviously the board that you will need to keep a close eye on, in case us MSEers are managing to save any large amounts of money...

What a daft idea, talk about putting information on a plate for the supermarkets to follow.......

^^ from the introductory thread - think I have a better understanding of this board now, but not a better understanding of why people think it is a bad idea. These shops offer coupons to attract customers so they are hardly likely to stop doing it because people are using the coupons. I would have thought that is exactly what they want.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 July 2013 at 5:37PM
    Options
    daveyj792 wrote: »
    think I have a better understanding of this board now, but not a better understanding of why people think it is a bad idea. These shops offer coupons to attract customers so they are hardly likely to stop doing it because people are using the coupons. I would have thought that is exactly what they want.

from what I gather (though have no experience), extreme couponing mean customers get a shedload of goods for very little, which is exactly what the shops do not want. They're happy to entice you into a shop with a 50p coupon so that you might spend £20, but using coupons against the T+Cs (heard reports that some do and encourage others) to get stuff for free is not the game they're playing.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You do not have to break the T&C's to "extreme coupon", just the same as the MSE'rs who got 100's of pounds worth of chocolate for a couple of quid were not breaking any rules (not counting the sins of lust, gluttony, greed, pride and possibly sloth as rule breaking)

It just makes a good headline/story but is not of much practical use to most, might lead people to try and "cheat" and then T&C's to be made more restrictive so hampering the day to day use of coupons (self print ones can already be a pain to redeem).
  • smod123
    smod123 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Dont listen to people saying get rid of this board . The money I save my family doing this is amazing . I once had a bill of £25 @ asda and after coupons and other offers I got the bill for £1.77.
    It annoyed asda that much they banned me from there store saying I was infringing the companys terms and conditions
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    smod123 wrote: »
    Dont listen to people saying get rid of this board . The money I save my family doing this is amazing . I once had a bill of £25 @ asda and after coupons and other offers I got the bill for £1.77.
    It annoyed asda that much they banned me from there store saying I was infringing the companys terms and conditions

And were you?

I think that's the objection of most people here, that promotion of what is happening and their proof will get the stores to close up the "loopholes" that allow it.
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    And were you?

I think that's the objection of most people here, that promotion of what is happening and their proof will get the stores to close up the "loopholes" that allow it.

Ditto

and for that reason my vote goes to this board being not a very good idea at all, lol!!!!
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    from what I gather (though have no experience), extreme couponing mean customers get a shedload of goods for very little, which is exactly what the shops do not want. They're happy to entice you into a shop with a 50p coupon so that you might spend £20, but using coupons against the T+Cs (heard reports that some do and encourage others) to get stuff for free is not the game they're playing.

I thought most coupons were manufacturers ones and give the shop an extra 1p to process them - if so surely the shops don't care if it's cash or money back plus free 1p's x millions.

if the shop produce their own coupons it's their own fault if people use them!
  • blackburn_w
    blackburn_w Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    there is a board all about vouchers so this board is a bit pointless.....
    2013-Swag bucks £10 Qmee £2.17 App Trailers 1.23 not a huge amount but better than nothing
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    What I don't understand is- where are the money off coupons? This is what you come to this board thinking it is about and I can't find any!
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• myrtleturtle
    Options
    hi wizzbang
    just as i've said and pointed out to mse. the title is very misleading.
    you'll find coupons on this link
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4517965

Wizzbang wrote: »
    What I don't understand is- where are the money off coupons? This is what you come to this board thinking it is about and I can't find any!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure