Megabus lost and found experience with missing luggage

Options
Hi there, I picked a Megabus to travel from London to Leeds and it broke down at Leicester. While they were repairing the coach without giving us any further updates after waiting for more than an hour, I get off the bus to buy a snack at the service station. On my return after almost 5 minutes, the coach was gone with my luggage still on it... I asked a friend to wait at Leeds coach station for the bus arrival to retrieve the luggage, but he waited for 3 hours without seeing the bus.

After being arrived in Leeds with another bus (not Megabus), I tried to call the customer service who gave me very generic information on their lost and found policy. They told me that they let me know as soon as possible and they will keep searching for my belongings for a total of 14 days and to refer to the depot in Wooley Edge. I visited the depot which told me that the main depot is in Rugby. I tried to bring them after finding their number online, but the number was unavailable.

Do you have any experience like this? How did you go about it? Did you manage to retrieve your stuff?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    What have you lost?
  • Pietrelcina666
    Options
    A rucksack with my clothes and a cross body bag with my laptop, my books, my sunglasses and other stuff.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    .... so items of value. Have you reported it to the.police?
  • Pietrelcina666
    Options
    I hadn't considered the police because I didn't consider it was a theft, but a loss. As far as you know, is there a time limit to report the accident to the police? May I refer to London police when I'll return on Monday/Tuesday? (I'm still in Leeds right now)
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A rucksack with my clothes and a cross body bag with my laptop, my books, my sunglasses and other stuff.

Begs the question if it's a rucksack with valuables, why not take it with you to get the snacks?
  • Pietrelcina666
    Options
    Actually, the rucksack was a hold luggage and it wasn't possible to carry it with me. I could have done it with the cross body bag that was my hand luggage, but it's easy to talk in hindsight...
  • Smidster
    Smidster Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had an experience with the Megabus lost luggage process earlier in the year after someone, completely accidentally, took my case instead of theirs (They got off at the previous stop)

I thought it was an OK, if not exceptional, experience though that is probably coloured by the fact I got my stuff back. Effectively they acted as a match-maker between the two of us with me arranging to go and meet the person who had my case. For the other person, which is a more similar situation as their luggage was left on the coach, they were able to put it on a different coach for them to collect without the need of going to a depot.

If we assume that nothing nefarious has happened then it should have been found by now - How long ago did it happen? It may have taken a couple of days to get back to the lost property area / depot (especially if there was a mechanical thing as well)

Unfortunately the T&Cs are clear that they are not responsible for anything that is lost in the hold so fear you are probably going to struggle if it hasn't been found (The only thing that springs to mind is why was there no process to make sure everyone was back on the bus after a delay)

Good luck!
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had an issue with airport transfer from london liverpool street to gatwick airport. Some guy, in a rush decided to pick up any old black luggage, similar size to his off of the lorry and make his way to departure.

I was still there looking for mine, and it only dawned on my what happened when everyone has taken their stuff and there was 1 luggage left that was roughly the same size and colour as mine. Reported it to the megabus staff, who told me they will take it into lost property to their "back entrance" and told me to go to the front entrance through the public entrance.

I went there and the guy that took my luggage was in lost property handing in my luggage, and wondering why I dont have his luggage. I was so angry at the guy for just callously picking up any old luggage and storming off with it.

The megabus driver wouldn't allow me to touch the other guys luggage. Which worked in my favour because it meant he didn't get his luggage from me and possbily not before his flight.

I'd say decorate your luggage, colour it, customer it. Make it unique and different so it doesn't accidently get picked up by someone else.

We assume cabin lagguage is OK. It's never going to get mixed up. But services like megabus/national expresses, dont allow any luggages inside. their overhead compartments are tiny so cabin luggage needs to by put underneath.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have some very bright patterned Roxy suitcases which we put coloured straps round before they go to the hold. We also photograph them at the airport before they are checked in, so there is evidence of what we own. You'd have to be colourblind to mix ours up with somebody elses. Don't assume cabin luggage will go on the aircraft, if there's too much, some of it will end up in the hold. Again, we have distinctive ribbons tied to the handles of our plain cabin baggage.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Pietrelcina666
    Options
    HI, I recovered the luggage on Monday after receiving an email which told it was located in... Wooley Edge. 😑
    I went there just on time, since my departure for London was planned 30 minutes before the email, but unfortunately I lost my Ray-Ban. Oh well...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure