PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've never bought at a house and never wanted to - the RV worked as a crane driver in the docks and they seemed to be on strike more than in work, so we'd never have managed a mortgage. I'm quite happy to pay rent forever beause in the bad times we didn't pay it at all. BUT if I did buy one, it would never be one that relied on central heating, or a boiler or any fancy expensive heat source. It would need an open fireplace with a chimney. Absolute number one priority - because then you have instant heat anytime, provided you have some coal. And when you've no money for coal then you take the kids and go foraging for fallen wood. Been there, done it, and it works.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd never buy a house without at the very least a functioning fire place now. We're looking to move closer to the girls and the two things I won't compromise on are the fireplace and the garden which has to be big enough to grow veg and have fruit trees. He Who Knows insists it must be somewhere with a shop for papers, bread and milk and also on a bus route which makes sense but these things can change over the years. The fireplace is essential though and the wherewithal to feed ourselves. It has to be out there somewhere and I'll keep hunting until I find it!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    That's what I miss up here MrsL - if we had a wee shop then at least there would be somewhere to go and talk to a human being when you feel you want to - I can sometimes go weeks without seeing any neighbours to talk to.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If I'm really lucky MAR so can I!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    its the lack of little shops that is causing so many people to talk to the walls
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    its the lack of little shops that is causing so many people to talk to the walls

There is an element of that it's true.

Casual chat in passing helps. One of the plus sides of the small (but not as small as yours Kittie) community is a distinct tendency when "out and about" to get into long chats with people generally.

Though I'm glad I have access to the Internet - often when I've sat there gobsmacked at the attitude of local Councils here (logical/fair it often ain't) and struggling to get my head round the way some of those Councillors think/act - and it's felt very necessary to get on the Internet to be reminded how most people think/feel/act instead.

Still - could be worse. I'm currently reading "Daring to drive" by Manal Al-Sharif (aka the young Saudi woman who stood up to a kingdom of men). Seeing her dawning revelation that so much of what she is being told is "the norm" in her own country isn't at all. She found access to the Internet extremely helpful in actually having communication with people that think for themselves.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have a fireplace or stove but I did make sure the gas hob should still work in a power cut so that I could have a hot meal, warm drinks, soup etc and a thermos flask that can be filled.

I have a couple of solar lights, lots of tea lights and hot water bottles. Planning to make a patchwork throw from a single duvet over the winter that will hopefully look decorative and can be grabbed if needed. I even have a slow cooker that does not need electricity.

After a week of eating sensibly I have lost five pounds. Initially I was a bit disappointed and hoped for more then realised that in the past I had been on "diets" with a quick initial weight loss that I could not sustain for weeks and months and ended up miserable and feeling like a failure. This way I am not "on a diet" and am eating a good size plate of real food I have cooked myself and snacks are things like fruit or yoghurt or a couple of crispbread - not bicuits, crisps, chocolate etc.

mardatha

I am lucky I am a few minutes walk away from a good bus route that will take me to the other end of town or to York or Leeds but I am also only five minutes walk away from a very small supermarket, a newsagent/post office, hairdresser and a cafe and chip shop ( the latter not so good for the healthy eating) :o

Have just cleared out underneath the sink as a new washing machine is being delivered this afternoon and access might be needed. Everything is now in a cardboard box and I am shocked how much there was under there.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't have a fireplace or stove but I did make sure the gas hob should still work in a power cut so that I could have a hot meal, warm drinks, soup etc and a thermos flask that can be filled.

What happens if it's the gas (or worse, both gas and electrickery) which goes off?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BB

I have a camping stove and a Kelly kettle - carefully hidden away so dds don't think I have lost my marbles.

Two of my dds have their own homes about 25 minutes drive away in different directions and if one area had problems we would probably congregate at a house that was unaffected.

I usually make sure I have things that can be eaten cold like cooked meat, cheese and crackers etc.as well as a decent stock of dried and tinned goods and a freezer.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We keep talking about our possible move, we currently live in the outskirts of town, our house is very small but subsequently so are our bills.
    We have not much storage space.
    We can cycle or walk almost everywhere during the week and only use our car weekends (until hubby finds new work).
    But we talk about moving to wales (we love it) as there are jobs there for hubby, bigger house, more storage, fire, room for decent veg growing etc

But worry about being lonely. And with things less accessible having to use the car more etc

We really struggle to decide what to do for the best!

Yesterday I cleared out all the kitchen cupboards, sorted out medicines for winter and ensuring the inhalers are well stocked. Discovered a power cut box I'd created and a first aid kit.

We also have a gas hob for when the electricity goes out but must get something else for if the gas goes off. I heard all sorts of rumblings about our lack of energy the last 2 winters.
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport