DD's accountability thread

Options
DD265
DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Here we go again - third time lucky.

I dare say that from 2006-2014 I was almost constantly worried about money. I then changed to a better paid job (which I love) with numerous benefits and a bonus scheme, yet I've still got two credit cards and a loan - lets ignore the student loan. It's not that often these days that I do worry about money so when I do it really hits me hard, and I hate it and I get cross at myself for staying in the spiral.

This time last year my horse was put to sleep, and I gave up my new(ish, by that point) on finance car and bought one outright. I'll actually own it outright when I've paid off the credit card.

Since then we've gotten married and I can't blame the wedding for most of the debt to be honest but obviously it had an effect on finances generally. Our honeymoon is paid for (wedding gift) so touch wood, we've no major expenses coming up and I can knuckle down to sort this rubbish out.

Comments

• DD265
    Options
    So why does this May suck so much?

All of our household bills seem to have shot up. We're renting, and haven't had a rent increase since we moved in three years ago which is great. But contents was more expensive, they put our electricity bill up twice (once with the spring bill, and again when I amended my surname on the direct debit...) and if I'm honest whilst I meal plan, I don't meal plan to a strict budget.

We have two cats and I actually pay more into the joint account to build a buffer for vets bills, and there's no buffer for vets bills. We actually have 3p left on the household budget with one food shop for the month to go. Luckily we have £38 in nectar points, £10 in Tesco vouchers and £10 on an M&S gift card so that's fine.

On a personal level, and I know this isn't going to go down well on this site, my biggest discretionary expense is personal training. I can justify it until I'm blue in the face, and at this point I'm not willing to give it up, but I know it's a lot of money at £25 an hour, three times a week. I may compromise and reduce it to fewer sessions, but there are things I'd rather give up first.

I also had a one-off £120 expense for a stall at a convention later this year, where I'll be selling off a collection of stuff, some of which is reasonably valuable - unfortunately we're talking £10s rather than £1000s! I have other stuff to sell in the mean time, and plan to use the bank holiday weekend for that.

I don't think I'd feel so skint if not for the 3p thing, but also a 0% deal on one of my cards ends next month and I'm not finding as many options open to me as I would've liked.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,270 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello :wave:

Well, the PT at 25 quid a session 3 times a week is a lot.
    375 is a 5 week month.
    Could you try cutting it down to two sessions a week?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome!
    I found I had the biggest impact on my debts when I opened my mind and heart to doing anything to achieve my debt and mortgage free goals - short term pain for long term gain and all that!!

I think anyone can justify a spend they are wedded to but the key to achieving money freedom I believe is being open to changes of behaviour which will deliver a fiscal result. I tend my own garden now - rather than have a £250 gardeners bill. I clean my own home and save £120 per month. I learned to become better organised and the impact has been huge - I meal plan properly and have a few quid each week that I can spend on what I like so don't feel hemmed in by my plan.

It is all about planning and budgetting for the things you want to spend your money on and how big your desire is to make sacrifices to get out of debt. You seem fairly comfy with your choices.

Have you done the simple stuff like shopped around online for insurance renewal etc and fixed your fuel prices and then reduced your usage??

I keep a spending diary and that shaved LOADS of my weekly budget - it is a midful thing to do and enables me to take a good overview of where I spend my pennies (plus how I do too!).

All the best for your journey DD265 - you'll find ooddles of support and advice here for you.

((hugs))

WM
  • Mumoffourkids
    Mumoffourkids Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a personal trainer but I only go to him once a week and I share the session with my mate, so we only pay £10 per hour. I then go to the gym two or three times a week and only pay £12.89 a month for my gym membership. This is a good compromise as I feel like I am getting the ideas for exercise and so on from my personal trainer which I then do at the gym by myself. I have actually gone from a size 14 to a size 12 without actually cutting out any food.
  • DD265
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I know the PT is a very expensive luxury. My view currently is that when we move out of the area, which we're aiming to do within 12 months, I'll have to give it up and will probably go it alone rather than find somebody else so in the mean time I want to learn everything that I can from him. But it's in the back of my mind that I can cut the sessions down if I need to.

As far as other costs go; I always shop around for insurance though not mid-term. Our electricity bill (no gas) is on a fixed rate but we recently found out that the boiler clock was on the wrong times so although we don't have an economy 7 meter, we were heating hot water that we weren't benefiting from, for example.

I use YNAB, but my struggle typically is that I'm a bit too quick to move money around rather than go 'no I can't have or do this'. This month I've done better on that so I am looking to continue that trend! I'm definitely guilty of not setting aside money monthly for things like insurance, so the contents insurance was £77 out of our food budget which is the better part of two weeks food for us.
  • DD265
    Options
    I've just started the credit card shuffle. I've done a balance transfer from the Barclaycard to the MBNA card. When that has cleared, I'll do a balance transfer from the MBNA card to the Barclaycard, and that leaves me with just short of £900 to pay down before mid-June. It feels achievable.

I also just bought my sister's birthday present - it's her birthday in July. I've used PayPal Pay After Delivery so I get two weeks before the payment leaves my account, but have already added it to June's budget. I have gotten her a dress, which I know she'll love because she stole one of mine in the same style but a different pattern last year. The dress was on sale, there was 20% off on the site then I got 11% cashback through a work scheme too, so with postage it'll cost less than £20 for a £55 dress. Winner!

The work scheme also offers us discounted reloadable cards for the supermarkets as well as various other stores. I'm a bit bad at topping up the supermarket cards but I need to - even when it's only 4% (Tesco) or 5% (Sainsburys) off, that's a saving we wouldn't otherwise be making. Our shopping this weekend will be done using Nectar points though, and the leftover M&S gift card balance.

The only downside is that I end up with loads of cards in my purse between payment cards, gift cards, reloadable cards and loyalty cards. It's getting a bit silly; I currently have 28 cards in my purse and an additional card holder in my handbag. Some of them are gift cards from Christmas/wedding and I need to watch that they don't expire!
  • DD265
    Options
    Sold another two wedding items, so was able to pay £100 off the MBNA card. :beer:

I started looking at my horse related things earlier but it was overwhelming. I separated out the sentimental bits I want to keep but that's about as far as I could get today. I'm hoping to find a local horsey car boot sale to shift some of the smaller items, and part of me can't be bothered cleaning them but I know they'll fetch better prices if I do. I'm also going to look at selling on FB for the pricier items and save eBay for further down the line.

I still have some wedding bits to list as well so I'd like to do that sooner rather than later too.

Not only is it helping to pay off the credit cards, I like seeing the amount of space in the spare room increase too because it became a dumping ground. Once I get into the swing of selling I am ruthless and nothing in the apartment is safe :D
  • DD265
    Options
    Pay day today - managed to get £800 paid off the MBNA card so both cards are now fully interest free. It does mean June is going to be fairly skint, but at least it's a 4 week month in terms of pay days.

The plan now is to take it easy on the card repayments (£100 to each) for the next couple of months to build up some additional savings. Any money made from sales etc will go into savings.

Unfortunately I don't really enjoy this kind of month where all the progress is made at the start and the rest of it is quiet!
  • DD265
    Options
    I have started making a bit of progress on the horse-stuff clear out.

I found a local-ish car boot sale on Saturday that I could go to, so I've started the (feels like, but isn't actually) mammoth task of cleaning everything. My theory is if it's ready to go, then I have the option to go. Plus if I get it all sorted for one car boot, I can just rinse and repeat for others if I need to. I still want to list some bits on FB because I think they'll be too pricey to sell at a car boot. I also need to re-list some of the things on the wedding site I used to get them back near the top of the listings. I want to hand-wash the bottom of my wedding dress this week too so I can get that listed.

No more payments off the credit cards yet unfortunately but a couple of other wins this weekend!

Thanks to a tip from another poster on here, I got 5 months of NowTV for £25 by buying a gift card. Then the cat biscuits were half price at £17 instead of £35, then I had a £1 off voucher too. I was tempted to buy more biscuits (once I realised it wasn't a mistake - I kept quiet until I checked the receipt!) but figured we can't really afford it this month, and in any case a bag lasts us two months so no rush.

Because I use YNAB, I can run some reports on my spending habits. I was pleased to see that my discretionary spending is coming down, but I want to try and bring it lower still. That covers things like 'spending money', clothes, hair/beauty and gifts. I may split 'spending money' out into further categories, for example meals/drinks out, cinema etc. I have a separate category for bills, one for direct debits, one for debt, then the joint account (and all our reloadable cards) are separate too.

All this said, it feels like pay day - and further progress - is a long way off!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,270 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I would have bought another bag of cat food but that's just me.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback