If you leave all your social media passwords belong to us

Options

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hold up, what now? I hope you're talking about the 2 year cut off.

In my current industry changing jobs every couple of years is a fairly standard thing.

No, I'm just pointing out that you cannot make a claim for unfair dismissal (unless there has been unlawful discrimination on one of the few legally protected grounds) during your first two years of employment.

So, the rights and wrongs of certain contract terms are largely irrelevant as you can be dismissed for no reason at all just by paying your contractual notice (or one week's pay is no notice period is specified).
  • shadowqueen
    Options
    Gotcha. It's just the post employment password handover. I mean, in theory with 2FA a password shouldn't be much good to them anyway.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gotcha. It's just the post employment password handover. I mean, in theory with 2FA a password shouldn't be much good to them anyway.

That alone makes its ridiculous to ask for a Facebook password considering they offer 2FA and if they are hiring people for a tech job then they are likely to have it enabled. Although alot of people are still too silly to not bother with it!.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    They ask for passwords, do they ask for usernames? Just curious as they'd be redundant without each other
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    if they want you using any of the platforms for work then create work accounts specifically for work.

don't forget things like VOIP if the company uses things like skype create a work account.
    This is the answer...
    I'm guessing this is a start-up company and they are thinking everybody is like them and blurs work and home and also not big enough to have a HR or legal department who would realise this is not a sensible clause. If you really want to work there - loopholes have already been pointed out. If not - look elsewhere (and then tell everybody on social media about this contract!)
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just tell them that you don't have a Facebook or LinkedIn account.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Why not just add that they can sleep with my wife and come in and help themselves to the contents on my home as well.

They can put what they want in a contract, whether it's enforceable or not is another matter. I don't think asking you for personal information is reasonable. It's nothing to do with them, unless you directly use these accounts for work.

It sounds draconian to me - just as well I'm out of the workplace now. :(

If they have the right to insist on having access to all your personal social media, why don't they demand copies of all letters written and received and recordings of conversations you have when in a social setting?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is a start-up company and they are thinking everybody is like them and blurs work and home and also not big enough to have a HR or legal department who would realise this is not a sensible clause.

It sounds more likely to be the work of the HR or legal department who are unfamiliar with the technical reasons why the clause is idiotic.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Sadly plenty of people do. This forum and others get lots of posts from employees who have done just that!

Do you think we should have the jobs board closed down then :D
    That way no one will be heard? Hadn't realised people responding were not feeding anything...

In all seriousness who would want to access f:;book on an employer's computer for personal reasons.

When I leave a company I'd delete the account if created on their premises - worked for one place where you'd have a t#!tter / LinkedIn account at employers standard encouragement on starting, that sure got deleted last day.
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    I work in tech and yes I've been in work many years now, moving around every one to two years. I have four offers on the table currently and while this job is on paper the best, it's the only one that's mentioned these things.

If I get sideswiped by a lorry while cycling to work and have to go to hospital do I need to worry about being done for misconduct because cycling is a hazardous activity?

I personally can't believe you're all so willing to hand over all your social media passwords.

I agree with you that the clause requiring you to nahd your employer details of ally our Linkedin contacts when you leave the company is ridiculous.
    Appalling invasion of privacy and it's free marketing for the company too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure