Reclaiming bank cherges

Options
I’ve just read the article about trying to reclaim bank charges even if bank account is closed.
When it guest cane abuut i wrote to my bank and they said I could be entitled to £2.300 due to unfaur charges.
At the time I was in financial hardship. I was on benefits as becoming a parent at the time.
I’d like to try again to reclaim these butbthe account has been closed now for 10 years or more. I remember which bank it was and that’s all. I’m unsure of which address I was living at the time.
Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve just read the article about trying to reclaim bank charges even if bank account is closed.

So, you will know that reclaiming of bank charges ended in 2009 when the banks wont the supreme court case.
    I’d like to try again to reclaim these butbthe account has been closed now for 10 years or more. I remember which bank it was and that’s all. I’m unsure of which address I was living at the time.
    Is there anything I can do?

You do nothing. You missed the boat.

The only times that banks look at potential refunds on bank charges is a) if the charges were incorrectly applied (rare)
    b) if you are in current financial hardship and they are your current bankers.

You don't fit either of those.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure