Big saving by alighting/joining at intermediate station - Can I do this?

Options
Just wondered if anyone could offer advice on whether this fits within the Rail Conditions of Travel?

I want to travel from Westbury (Wilts) to Reading. An off-peak return is in the region of £45.

But, one can buy a ticket for the station before Reading (Theale) for £18 return.

The valid route from Westbury to Theale is to take the intercity train east to Reading and then change to a regional train west to Theale.

The £18 ticket is an Off-peak, valid on any permitted route ticket.

Big saving, but can it be done?

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    From what I can see, Westbury - Theale for £18 return is a direct service, change at Newbury. It is not routed via Reading, so I don't think your idea works.

However, Theale - Reading is £4 return, so that could work.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    From what I can see, Westbury - Theale for £18 return is a direct service, change at Newbury. It is not routed via Reading, so I don't think your idea works.

However, Theale - Reading is £4 return, so that could work.

Perhaps my calculations are date dependent which has changed the routing? I'm looking to do this on a Saturday (9th November) and the changes are all via Reading.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 October 2019 at 10:41PM
    Options
    I'm not seeing any return fares for Sat 9th Nov, though, on the National Rail Journey Planner during the main part of the day.

There is an 0756 dep Westbury / 1918 dep Theale that is £18 return, but that is direct, change at Newbury, not routed via Reading.

edit: I see the results on GWR are completely different...
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    If the train stops at the intermediate station then yes I'm sure it can be done - this is the very premise on which split ticketing is built.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the train stops at the intermediate station then yes I'm sure it can be done - this is the very premise on which split ticketing is built.
    But Reading is not between Westbury and Theale.
    In order, the stations are Westbury - Theale - Reading.

The OP wants to travel from Westbury to Reading but only pay the fare from Westbury to Theale.

That is not traditional split ticketing at all.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »

The OP wants to travel from Westbury to Reading but only pay the fare from Westbury to Theale.

Oh! In that case no, of course.

However cornucopia mentioned above that Theale - Reading would be £4, so both tickets together (if that is the intention) would cover the whole journey for much less.

Actually, just re-reading the OP:
    The valid route from Westbury to Theale is to take the intercity train east to Reading and then change to a regional train west to Theale.

I totally misunderstood the question :doh:
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I am seeing a routing via Reading for the £18 ticket on the GWR website though.....

eg.

Depart Westbury 11:03 Arrive Reading 11:49
    Depart Reading 12:10 Arrive Theale 12:18

To return

Depart Theale 19:11 Arrive Reading 19:20
    Depart Reading 19:31 Arrive Westbury 20:25

So I should be able to leave and join at Reading with this ticket?
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

According to the route information that OP found, Reading *is* in between Westbury and Theale.

That information may (or may not - depending on which website you believe) be inaccurate, but it is still the basis for the OP's plan.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    According to the route information that OP found, Reading *is* in between Westbury and Theale.
    Whatever information has been found, I am sure the OP will agree with me that Reading is not between Westbury and Theale.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    I am seeing a routing via Reading for the £18 ticket on the GWR website though.....

eg.

Depart Westbury 11:03 Arrive Reading 11:49
    Depart Reading 12:10 Arrive Theale 12:18

To return

Depart Theale 19:11 Arrive Reading 19:20
    Depart Reading 19:31 Arrive Westbury 20:25

So I should be able to leave and join at Reading with this ticket?

I see what you're saying. The real question is, would they let you through the ticket gate at Reading if your ticket is for that route to Theale? Technically according to the letter of the regulations it should 'probably' be okay because it is a permitted route - but in reality with Theale not being between Westbury and Reading I would imagine you'd be hard pressed to argue your case with anyone checking your ticket at the barrier, especially if you don't intend travelling on (in which case it would simply be breaking your journey, but again you may not be believed anyway).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure