PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick and sometimes obvious time savers..

Options
Since this is such a busy time I wondered if anyone had some easy time savers that worked for them?
Starting the Christmas card preparations I've realised that writing the cards out by hand is much quicker than designing and printing address labels which I have been doing for the last few years. It also gives me some handwriting practice as I've realised that I don't do so much of that these days and my writing has suffered. My old English teacher would be horrified :o
Another tip is to save the cards from last year and just copy from them. Saves trying to remember the names of partners, children, dogs...;)
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
:A:beer:
Please and Thank You are the magic words;)

Comments

• lily117
    lily117 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you buy presents, if you wrap them straight away, keep a note of what you have already bought and who for so you don't end up doubling up.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't wrap presents with paper and sellotape, instead loosely wrap them in scarves and even pillowcases. There is still surprise, but you save money, time and resources.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    I keep a Christmas card list, which gets updated every year (some people die and drop off the list, other people have babies, neighbours and work colleagues come and go). I'm old-fashioned enough to have it on a sheet of paper, so it's now forming a sort of short-hand history of my life - people who once meant a lot who have drifted away, relatives no longer with us, new people who are special to me, and so on. It saves having to start thinking from scratch every year, and avoids the risk of missing anyone out.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I keep a Christmas card list, which gets updated every year (some people die and drop off the list, other people have babies, neighbours and work colleagues come and go). I'm old-fashioned enough to have it on a sheet of paper, so it's now forming a sort of short-hand history of my life - people who once meant a lot who have drifted away, relatives no longer with us, new people who are special to me, and so on. It saves having to start thinking from scratch every year, and avoids the risk of missing anyone out.
    I keep a list too but mine is a Word document.
    That means you don't have to keep a load of old cards.

I do Christmas shopping throughout the year, whenever I see something that I know will be appreciated, and I keep a list of that too and periodically check it for what I've bought.

I buy food items that have a long use-by date (e.g. cheese and cold meats) when I see them so I'm not overwhelmed with loads of shopping in the few days before Christmas.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My dds always joke that I use so much sticky tape on gifts that they can't open them so this year I bought a pack of gift bags of various sizes that close with a double ribbon tie that makes a nice bow. It made wrapping much easier and I am hoping to keep and reuse the bags.

I have a list of who I send cards to and have some sticky labels which I write the name and address on and then stick onto envelopes so if I make a mistake I don't ruin an envelope.

This year is the first time I have been writing down exactly what I have wrapped and for who as well as a note of what has still to be delivered and it has been really useful. Before I used to jot down ideas and buy things then wonder if I had got everything and panic at the last minute.

This is also the first time I have ordered a couple of meat and veg hampers so I have only fresh veg, eggs, cheeses etc to think about.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    My dds always joke that I use so much sticky tape on gifts that they can't open them so this year I bought a pack of gift bags of various sizes that close with a double ribbon tie that makes a nice bow. It made wrapping much easier and I am hoping to keep and reuse the bags.
    We always keep the gift bags - birthday and Christmas - and recycle them round friends and family.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options

Yep...that's one I do and I must hoick out last years list soon and have a think about whether there's any new people to add on for this year.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Would be good to have any timesaving tips for year round from peeps please?

I've finally got into the idea of making sure I keep a list on me of things to buy/do "in town" on me (ie apart from the weekly supermarket trip - which has to be a "special trip" as there's nothing I want near it). Now I've got "regular" things I go to "in town" - then I look at that list on my way out from those activities and see if there's anything I need to buy/do whilst in town anyway.

That way I usually manage to avoid special trips walking into town for just one or two things - unless I want to of course.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    The OP specifically asked for time saving tips 'Since this is such a busy time...' hence the Christmas theme.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Would be good to have any timesaving tips for year round from peeps please?

I've finally got into the idea of making sure I keep a list on me of things to buy/do "in town" on me (ie apart from the weekly supermarket trip - which has to be a "special trip" as there's nothing I want near it). Now I've got "regular" things I go to "in town" - then I look at that list on my way out from those activities and see if there's anything I need to buy/do whilst in town anyway.

That way I usually manage to avoid special trips walking into town for just one or two things - unless I want to of course.
    The OP specifically asked for time saving tips 'Since this is such a busy time...' hence the Christmas theme.
    Perhaps this thread should be moved to the Christmas specific board and the poster above can ask her year-round question on the OS board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure