Running around in circles again

Options
MessyMare
MessyMare Posts: 979 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 August 2017 at 6:16AM in Debt free diaries
Sigh.

Long time forumite back after a long, long time.

It's funny really - I do so well when I check into the forums every day, check my bank balance, reconcile with YNAB every day...then I stop. And the debt piles on. And I feel a bit ill just looking at it.So I stop. And live in a beautiful La-La Land of crafty shopping sprees and mounting debt.

It's the same with weight loss really. Both seem to go hand in hand *cough*lackofselfcontrol*cough*. I want to be one of those sprightly gazelle types you see running along at stupid o clock in the morning while I'm slogging in to work on overtime because it gets so loud in there I can't think. To do any kind of decent work I need peace and quiet, the kind of peace and quiet I can only get at 7am. Don't get me wrong, the overtime is nice but crikey, it comes at a cost - my self control sucks even more badly when I'm tired. I'm threatening to build myself a cubicle from old pallets and electric fencing.

I'm just logging into YNAB to get my overall number (this includes the principle on the mortgage too mind).

Drumroll please

-£76843.00

_pale_

Well. The only way is up, I suppose.

See you tomorrow.
DEBT: £3585.91/£76843
Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2018 #033 £635.78/£2435.78
EMERGENCY FUND: £1000/£1000
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up; always try just one more time

Comments

• MessyMare
    Options
    SO

Pretty good day today. I got weighed in (though I don't know how much I weigh, I know I've gained so I'll find out next week when I go); work is over for the week; I've spent a grand total of £2.80 and I'm curled up at home watching craft supply hauls on YouTube as a substitute for doing craft shopping. Even if it is my birthday on Sunday.

I've even input my spend into YNAB straight away *pats self on the head*. I know it's when I stop doing the little things like that that I spiral out of control so..yep. Oh and my pension forecast came through; it's going pleasingly well! I can't help but fantasise about what I can do with my money when I'm free of debt.

So, I suppose I should get a bit more into the debt, shouldn't I? I currently owe £2550 on interest free for 25 months, being paid back at £100 p/m. I also owe my mother £6200 (this is a joint one between my husband and I). £200 of that is our agreed interest payment, as I don't want to feel like I'm taking advantage. This paid out the finance we took out for some home improvements (finance was taken out as they give a substantial discount for doing so, and the loan was pre-arranged with mother). I know it sounds silly but this is the one that I'm most likely to overpay. I want to get that money back to her ASAP and I know the credit card will take care of itself on direct debit. I figure as well that if I overpay as must as I can, if SHTF Mum will understand if I need to take a payment holiday and I won't feel bad for doing it. My DH and I pay £100 each a month to this one.

The rest of the above number is the mortgage, which isn't unreasonable for a three bedroom house close to town with a huge garden. We're only hoping to have one child so we should never have to move.

Goodness work has taken it's toll on me this week. I'm going to sign off here and have a snooze I think...can't spend money when I'm asleep!

Tata
  • MessyMare
    Options
    Well, since that last burst of a lack of self control I've faced it and reshuffled my finances on YNAB to cover all of my indiscretions (lots of comfort shopping around my 30th birthday). Now I'm itching for my noddle report to come through so I can update my mortgage balance and see a little tiny bit of that big red number go away. We made our first scheduled repayment to the bank of Mum and I'm going to round the bit of extra cash I have up to a nice round hundred pounds and make an overpayment to her.

I've worked an insane (for me) amount of overtime this month that's just been submitted. Even after my pension payment and student loan and ta etc come off it it should still be a fairly healthy sum. Payday is in 17 days and to be honest, it can't come fast enough. It never can, really.
  • MessyMare
    Options
    Well, all scheduled debt payments have gone out, leaving me at £76318.00. That's a tidy £425 to my debts for this month but it's feeling like a paltry amount. I overpaid mum by £100 but I have spent so much money this month. I really need to be realistic about this - I have spend hundreds on 'fun stuff' and I don't have the funds or the position to be doing it.

I had done something very un-MSE to fund my diet and guilt trip myself into sticking to it so the faster I can get into the groove and get myself settled, the faster that will be done with. Also, the better I stick to my diet, the less money I fritter away on junk food and binge eating. Weigh in is tomorrow so I'm hoping for a good week to boost my flagging spirits.

12 days until payday.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning MessyMare,

Welcome back.

Happy new diary xx
  • Doris17
    Doris17 Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck MessyMare.x

"Make Everyday Count"

#77 3-6 Months Emergency Fund £2528.11/£5000

• MessyMare
    Options
    Morning MessyMare,

Welcome back.

Happy new diary xx

Hi Purple :) Thank you - I've embarked on many diaries in the past but never managed to make it stick. Now I've sat down and looked at the actual number rather than just spitballing a rough figure my face did this _pale_
    Doris17 wrote: »
    Good luck MessyMare.x

Thank you Doris :)

So it's 9 days until payday and I have zero money. Well, I have enough for groceries for this week and my diet plan, and a couple of pots of savings for specifics like if my car explodes unexpectedly.

I've noticed some payments that Mr Money Mustache labels as Bad Decisions. I've got one of those coming up - soon I'll end up with payments to two separate gyms for three months. I'd already started the six months notice period to quit my current place (crikey, six bloody months. How on earth do they get away with it?) but ended up signing up for the 24 hour gym opening up close to where I work and where I go shopping. Thankfully the opening date has been pushed back to end of August so I should have a bit of a grace period on the payments starting. I'll just have to go swim and go to classes at my original gym to make the most of it, while going to the gym gym at my new place. Why oh why do I do these things to myself? I've increased my gym budget to cover both payments from payday, even if the payment doesn't come out until after September payday.

I've been reading Edinburgher's old diary for inspiration, alongside MMM. I'm still not sure whether to go MMM YOUR DEBT IS AN EMERGENCY NO LIFE UNTIL IT'S GONE or whether to go the Dave Ramsey route and get an emergency fund in place before smashing the debt. I suppose at least I have 9 days to think about it
  • MessyMare
    Options
    So I decided to go with a healthy emergency fund rather than screaming-hair-on-fire-debt-attack.

I've got £200/£1000 so far, and I'll be paying the minimum on the Virgin debt to help me get this funded faster. We've got our holiday in just over a week; our two days away is paid already so I just need to eek out my remaining holiday fund to cover the rest. I did splash out for the full breakfast while we're away, thinking that we'll fill up and smuggle some fruit out for snacks.

Other plans for holiday include going to a photography exhibition at the coast at a National Trust property; paddleboarding lessons (this is probably the most extravagant one) and lots and lots of cycling.

I got my student loan statement this morning...I paid a WHOLE TEN POUNDS off the capital LAST YEAR. Wow. I haven't included the loan in my debt figure as I haven't really decided how I'm going to deal with it. I know the debts I'm included are my priority; paying mum back is important to me and I don't want to take advantage of her generosity. The virgin debt is important for obvious reasons...it's on my credit report and it needs paying. And the mortgage is our ticket to freedom and an easier life. I love my work but I hate being forced to work; without the burden of the mortgage our house bills are so, so low. With that gone, if the worst were to happen with either of us, we would cope so easily. Even if both of us were out of work, we could manage.

My mini plan for this week is to Spend No Money. Groceries are paid for and I have a full-ish tank of petrol so no spending required. Short term plan for next payday (20 days to go!) is to stash £250 to the emergency fund. The medium term plan (now-end of year) is to fully fund my emergency fund. The long-ish term plan (next 12 months) is to clear the amount of the Virgin debt.

Seems sensibibble?
  • MessyMare
    Options
    Okay, our holiday is over and I've managed to scrape the numbers to put more to my emergency fund - it now stands at £350 (yay!) and I've shuffled my finances to pay more to the debt.

5 days left to payday, and of my payday goal I only need to put another £150 in (I think this will overshoot my goal but it's doable and gets me to 50% funded :)) to my emergency fund; another £200 will come of the bank of mum loan, another £125 off the mortgage capital...it's all ticking away remarkably well.

I'm considering applying for Christmas temp work around the holidays; if I could get a job it would help to chunk down that loan from mum. My husband is wary of my plan, thinking I guess that I'll be exhausted (and probably able to do less housework) but my thoughts are that it's only temporary, and if it's really too much, I can leave without too much impact. I don't know...I have time to think at least.
  • MessyMare
    Options
    So things have been hard recently. I lost the closest thing to a functional, normal grandparent I ever had, and I found out I'm not going to be able to conceive naturally.

So I did what I do best - spent like I was rich, didn't check my bank account and whacked a holiday on my credit card. Oh and I binge ate like there's no tomorrow.

On the bright side, the emergency fund is sitting pretty at £700; I'm planning to have that fully funded by the end of January if not before. As I was going through my budget I was getting genuinely frightened that I wouldn't be able to make my commitments this month. I've just about scraped through, but I'm going to have to live like a hermit until payday (23 days to go...). I've already told Mr MM that I have no money to spare and we'll have to stick to free things to do together. I'm ill at the moment so nothing much is being spent at least.

I tried to pre-empt some spending. So I'm always hankering for diet coke, and usually go to the village shop and spend however much alongside the coke. So I bought a 24 pack yesterday and have stashed it in our excessively cold conservatory. It's been bliss drinking it!

I did say to myself that I'm going to put the spare money that would have gone to council tax to the emergency fund; however if I can fully fund before that point, I'm excited to put that money to my debt.

I have to make 2018 my year. I can't stand the thought of it being as awful as every other year.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Couldn't read and run. Sorry for your loss, and the fertility issue :( That is a lot of grief to deal with.

Please don't assume that you inevitably won't have children though. My younger DD is about to have her second (both IVF babies). She was lucky enough, 5 years ago, to get the first cycle (but not the second, which they paid for) on the NHS. Not sure if that is possible now, but worth finding out?

Hope next year treats you more kindly xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport