MSE Poll: How much are your basic necessary outgoings each year?

Options
Poll started 16 January 2018

How much are your basic necessary outgoings each year?

Martin often suggests you keep three to six months’ worth of basic outgoings as an emergency cash fund if you’re debt-free. So we want to find out how much this is for most people.

How much do you spend on necessities in a year – incl rent/mortgage, basic food, energy bills, council tax, water bills, credit card/loan repayments?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• VillageIdiot
    Options
    I don't think Card and Loan Repayments should be included, as they might already be covered under other headings, such as Food, and may cover non-essentials such as Holidays, and Meals Out.
    But I do think Transport Costs should be included, whether for public transport or for running a car. The latter are of course very "lumpy" if cars are bought outright for cash, and therefore the depreciation needs to be averaged over the ownership period of the car.
    And how about Essential Phone Bills, Clothes, Medical Expenses, and House costs, such as maintenance and item replacement?
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    My basic outgoing exactly equal my basic income and although that will change as prices rise, I am very happy :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure