Should I take new job - pros and cons

Options
westbridgfordguy
westbridgfordguy Posts: 106 Forumite
I got through the contract last night regards a job offer for a new company so have got a little thinking to do over the weekend.

On circumspection the pros against cons are as follows:-

Pros:-

1. £4k pay rise (or 13% rise),
2. £4k potential worth of annual performance related bonuses against £1k
3. Preferable working hours- Monday to Friday mornings starts as opposed to Monday to Friday mixture of mornings/afternoons shifts

Cons:-

1. Double travelling distance, 60 mile daily round trip commute as opposed to 30 miles - daily commute time will be roughly double from 50 mins to 100 mins for round trip
2. Equal amount of poor holiday entitlement - statutory 28 days but have to bank some for Xmas shutdown in new job so actually 15 "free floating" days
3. Have to work some weekends unpaid (same in current job but new contract didn't specify if get time back off in lieu, current job do get hours worked back)

Job will be doing effectively the same as before but job title changed slightly.

Any thoughts/feedback please?

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Time over money for me, especially now I have a baby.
    I would stay where I am.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Pavior123
    Pavior123 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Pay rise will cover extra travelling, really depends on if you think you will hit the 4k bonus or not.

1) do you want the extra money or more spare time

2) do you want a change?

3) Would your current employer match the salary you have been offered
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    First thing I'd want to do is find out if the weekends give rise to TOIL, or not.

And what's the cost of the increased commute?

And are the employer's pension contributions similar, or very different?

Then there's the question of what's more important to you, money or time?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    Pavior123 wrote: »
    Pay rise will cover extra travelling, really depends on if you think you will hit the 4k bonus or not.

1) do you want the extra money or more spare time

2) do you want a change?

3) Would your current employer match the salary you have been offered

At this time in my life I'd probably say the extra money but conscious that this might not always be the case.

I doubt if my current employer would match this new offer they have a very rigid pay structure, I can broach this subject though when I discuss the job offer next week with my line manager.
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    First thing I'd want to do is find out if the weekends give rise to TOIL, or not.

And what's the cost of the increased commute?

And are the employer's pension contributions similar, or very different?

Then there's the question of what's more important to you, money or time?

Additional commuting cost will be about £60 a month did a rough calculation last night against my normal mpg.

You're right about the TOIL that was one of my questions I was going to email HR about over the weekend along with the pension scheme though my current company pension provider is NEST so pay the bare minimum as contributions.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Additional commuting cost will be about £60 a month did a rough calculation last night against my normal mpg.

You're right about the TOIL that was one of my questions I was going to email HR about over the weekend along with the pension scheme though my current company pension provider is NEST so pay the bare minimum as contributions.

£60 is likely to be an out extra fuel costs, when you add in wear & tear on the tyres, engine etc and depreciation it’s more like £60 a week (40p a mile).

Given you’re “unhappiness” at inconvenient meetings due to current shift pattern and “concern” at your forthcoming appraisal, why are you asking strangers on the internet?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    £60 is likely to be an out extra fuel costs, when you add in wear & tear on the tyres, engine etc and depreciation it’s more like £60 a week (40p a mile).

Fair comment about the additional motoring costs, on the basis of your calculation that would totally negate any rise in salary - I'd be taking home an extra £250ish pounds a month which would be wiped out by the additional motoring costs you've detailed.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Work out the hourly rate for that extra 50mins a day, then after costs.

Probably better off doing a min wage job locally for 4hrs a week.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Don't forget to take off 32% for tax and NI. £227pm left.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £4K extra means bigger eventual pension too due to bigger contributions.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure