First Mortgage - Advice Please

Options
Hi Everyone

Hope you are all well.

I am looking to get onto the property ladder with our first mortgage. I am married (no kids) and just hit 30.
My brother (single) is doing well in his work and also is wanting to buy a property.
We have decided and agreed to buy a nice home with both can give in and jointly take out a mortgage.

I earn around 24k pa and he earns 38k pa. Combined we can put down around 70k.

Property wise we are looking around 250k-300k value home in East Midlands.

I really do have much experience nor does he regarding getting started, so I have a few question

- Is 70k combined deposit good enough?
- When it comes to applying how would it work, do we open a joint account put it all in there?
- Property wise, do you recon they would agree purchase on a 250-300k property?
- New homes, I am guessing a can get the government loan up to 20% , so plus our deposit, the rest will be a mortgage loan?
- Any financial stuff we need to look out for before applying?
- In order to get a mortgage agreement so we get a agreement in principle before checking out properties? And how long is agreement normally valid for?

I just really want to make sure I understand everyone and get it right before applying. Your advice is very welcome :o

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Dont do it.
    If you do do it the most important thing is nothing to do with what you've asked.
    The most important thing by far is the exit agreement.
    Which should describe how the house will be sold, and who makes that decision (it shoudl be unilateral, any one person can) and that all costs are equally split. And what happens to the equity. is it shared equally? What happen to deposits? repaid as original or as pro-rated by how much the house went up (or down) in value?
    It also states what happens if one person doesn't pay their share of mortgage or rent (ideally, that money is logged and removed from their share of the proceeds when the house is sold)
    Plus a shed load more of issues, suppose you fall out and one person decides just not to sign any papers to do with sale? Or wont agree to any sale price. You need to cover all these types of issues.
    Plus all the ordinary stuff, such as how is maintenance, council tax, water rates, services etc etc etc etc covered? is there a budget account you pay into or pay as you go or what?

Also, your post is unclear, would this be a residence for all 3 of you? A BTL?

And is your partner also buying or is it just you and brother? You've only mentioned two salaries.
  • nizzex
    nizzex Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Dont do it.
    If you do do it the most important thing is nothing to do with what you've asked.
    The most important thing by far is the exit agreement.
    Which should describe how the house will be sold, and who makes that decision (it shoudl be unilateral, any one person can) and that all costs are equally split. And what happens to the equity. is it shared equally? What happen to deposits? repaid as original or as pro-rated by how much the house went up (or down) in value?
    It also states what happens if one person doesn't pay their share of mortgage or rent (ideally, that money is logged and removed from their share of the proceeds when the house is sold)
    Plus a shed load more of issues, suppose you fall out and one person decides just not to sign any papers to do with sale? Or wont agree to any sale price. You need to cover all these types of issues.
    Plus all the ordinary stuff, such as how is maintenance, council tax, water rates, services etc etc etc etc covered? is there a budget account you pay into or pay as you go or what?

Also, your post is unclear, would this be a residence for all 3 of you? A BTL?

And is your partner also buying or is it just you and brother? You've only mentioned two salaries.

Thanks for your response.

I fully understand your concerns and the potentials for things to go bad. We have a very good understanding, we have a strong family background, financially have supported each other always and conducted business with no worries but I take on board that should the possibility this go wrong an agreement is put in place.

We will share 50/50 ownership as well as repayments, sharing the payments of council tax, running costs, etc is agreed.

We have ordinary accounts. It will be a residential property to live in so not BTL.

It will be just me and brothers salaries used, I am responsible for my own wife.

Apart from the concerns of having a joint mortgage any other impartial advise welcome :beer:
  • SouthLondonUser
    SouthLondonUser Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nizzex wrote: »
    I fully understand your concerns and the potentials for things to go bad.
    I'll never forget a solicitor who said something like: "if every person who says that were right, I'd be unemployed!"
  • nizzex
    Options
    Would it be kind enough to ask for people not to concentrate on the fact it’s a joint mortgage with my brother and actually help me and answer the questions at hand anyone please? Anyone?
  • nizzex
    Options
    bump......
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nizzex wrote: »
    Would it be kind enough to ask for people not to concentrate on the fact it’s a joint mortgage with my brother and actually help me and answer the questions at hand anyone please? Anyone?

You do have a wife. This does add potential complexity in the event of relationship breakdown. Whether she is party to the mortgage or not.

Nothing to stop you going ahead with your plans. Your decision alone.

Likewise think ahead many years. You do need to consider the what if's for a whole variety of reasons.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I see mess everywhere!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts