IFA credentials

Options
I have been receiving some financial/pensions advice from an IFA employed by Sebastian & St James. The advice seems very credible, but the firm is registered in Dublin and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland - does this have any implications I should be aware of ?

Comments

• LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looking at the registration at
    https://register.fca.org.uk/ShPo_FirmDetailsPage?id=001b000000WBPFSAA5
    they appear to act as representatives of several other firms.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you asked them? They are best placed to tell you - and should do so if you ask.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    LHW99 wrote: »
    Looking at the registration at
    https://register.fca.org.uk/ShPo_FirmDetailsPage?id=001b000000WBPFSAA5
    they appear to act as representatives of several other firms.

Different firms - one is 'International' the other 'UK'.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    does this have any implications I should be aware of ?

Brexit would be the obvious one. The EU has already confirmed that passporting will end. That allows UK financial firms to operate in the EU and EU financial firms to operate in the UK. So, without passporting, firms will not be able to transact into each others markets without opening an office in each jurisdiction and becoming regulated in each jurisdiction.

A small firm like this is not going to have much, if any, internet coverage. However, firms that market themselves as "international" tend to focus on ex-pats or those that fall under multiple jurisdictions.

Are you dealing with the UK firm or the Dublin firm?
    The UK firm is an appointed rep of Tavistock Partnership (that would be a query as most networks have stopped being IFA now and gone restricted). The network holds passporting permissions into the EU.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure