Lloyds bank No2 illustration basis

Options
I have a small DB pension in Lloyds Bank No2 scheme that has an NRA of 60, which is in 3.75 years for me.

I have just used the calculators on the website to
1. Request an up to date deferred annual pension figure. The answer was ~£1335.
2. Request an illustrative annual pension figure for NRA. The answer was ~£2215.

Roughly half of my current annual pension, is I believe, now GMP (post 1988) due to the 7.5% annual increase. However, to get from £1335 to £2215 in under 4 years (my NRA) I calculate requires an annual uplift of over 17% - which can’t be right.

I fully accept I may well have got my calculations wrong, but can anyone please shed any light on the basis of estimate they use for growth over the < 4 year timeframe.

Thanks.

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,689 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could it be that you've entered a request for early retirement i.e. taking your pension now, 3.75 years before the NRA, which would mean an early retirement reduction factor has been applied to the illustration?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.lloydsbankinggrouppensions.com/assets/scheme_docs/no2/scheme_summary-8f266fc6e4340534d5ec3ce525499fd3ef3bb1547ab50f45c67a25b167731468.pdf

https://www.barnett-waddingham.co.uk/comment-insight/blog/2012/07/24/revaluation-for-early-leavers/

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/The-impact-of-state-pension-reforms-on-people-with-Guaranteed-Minimum-Pension.pdf

Are you male or female?

Have you obtained a new state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

Do you have statement of deferred benefits from when you left Lloyds which shows

pre 88 GMP (if any)
    post 88 GMP
    excess?

It is possible that you have been quoted a figure for taking your deferred pension four years earlier than NRA which as the first link explains would involve an actuarial reduction.
  • Noodling
    Noodling Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi - thanks for replies.

The £1335 is definitely not an early retirement quote. Here's a cut and copy from output

Lloyds Bank Pension Scheme No. 2 Thank you for requesting an update of your deferred pension benefits in the Lloyds Bank Pension Scheme No. 2.
    Your deferred pension in the Scheme at 18 June 2018 is £1,334.12 a year payable from normal retirement age.

I am Female. My new State Pension forecast is that with tax year 2018:2019 under my belt, I will have the maximum of ~£164 per week.

Original GMP at date of leaving was £145.08 and excess was £539.84. I left in 1992. (No pre 88 gmp)
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,689 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably best to contact the scheme and ask them.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The GMP revalues at 7.5%, the excess at the statutory rate.
    See Barnett Waddingham link above for changes since 1992.

SCHEME BENEFITS SUMMARY LLOYDS BANK PENSION SCHEME NO.2
    says

If you leave then you will be entitled
    to a deferred pension. This will be
    based on your Pensionable Service
    and Final Pensionable Pay at the
    date you leave the Scheme. Your
    deferred pension would then
    increase, for each full year until you
    retire, broadly in line with annual
    increases in a National Inflation
    Index called the Consumer Prices
    Index (subject to a maximum of 5%
    a year).
    These increases are required under
    legislation and have changed in the
    past. This means that some of your
    pension which you have already
    built up for earlier Pensionable
    Service may increase at a different
    rate.

Check your personal situation with the scheme administrator.

https://www.lloydsbankinggrouppensions.com/further_information/contacts
  • Noodling
    Options
    Hi, thanks again. I have written to them to ask their projection assumptions and how they expect to increase the amount so much in such a short timeframe.
  • Noodling
    Options
    I thought I would update this thread with the replies I received. The first response I got was was a load of twaddle which, thanks to this forum, I was able to spot as such - EG it said GMP was uprated in deferment by a max of 3%!

The second response I got after querying the first, it copied word for word below. What do we think?

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your e-mail dated 2/7/2018.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Please see below information confirming the increases that will apply to your benefits in deferment, when calculated at Normal Retirement Date[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Guaranteed Minimum Pension will be revalued at a fixed rate per annum, for each complete tax year from date of leaving to GMP age (which is age 60 in your case and is also your Normal Retirement Date under the Scheme).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Pension in excess of the GMP will be revalued by statutory revaluation orders.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The reason for the apparent !!!8220;low!!!8221; increase in your current deferred pension figure (GMP & Excess) is that the calculation to current date is based on a single rate from date of leaving to the calculation date. Therefore the current revalued annual deferred benefit of £1,334.12 pa (payable at Normal Retirement Date under the Scheme) will reflect this. The reason for this is that we are unable to predict fluctuations in the factors used and do not wish to raise members expectations.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]When you reach your Normal Retirement Date under the Scheme your benefits will be recalculated in accordance with the Trust Deed and Rules to ensure they meet any minimum requirements you are entitled to and to ensure that any fixed rate revaluation has been applied to the GMP element.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We trust that this resolves your query.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Can I rely on the higher figure for planning purposes?
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport