DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    spiffyiffy wrote: »
    As everyone is posting an update I may as well too :)

.....Yesterday I sent most of my creditors 'complaint' letters to either default me or to to default me when everyone else defaulted me around the time after I setup with SC.....

I'll be interested to know how you get on with this, spiffyiffy. Please keep us posted on your progress:beer:. All mine defaulted me in the summer of 2013, a few months after I started my DMP. Lloyds didn't default until early this year so obviously it will still be showing on my credit file years after the others have disappeared:(.

Are any of your debts with Lloyds? I've found that they are the most unhelpful and obstructive of all my creditors:mad:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    purplepaws wrote: »
    If I could, I would take you all out for a lovely cup of tea and some cake!

REBECCA - you are not alone, even though it does feel like it. Your words could be my words.

I have just begun my DMP journey (as of yesterday!) and already I feel a bit lighter and more able to think about the future, knowing that I don't have the worry of where to find the money to make payments each month. It is not an easy decision to make, it is really difficult to accept that you have spiralling debt buy you have gone to seek help and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you for sharing and hang-in there.

Thank you to everyone for caring enough to offer words of support and encouragement. I hope to be as wise as you all, to help DMP newbies, like me, of the future.

What a lovely post, purplepaws. Thank you for it:T

As for your hope in your last paragraph that one day you'll be able to help newbies to the thread. Trust me, you will:j. We all start off unsure and a bit scared about what lies ahead on our DMP journeys but with the unfailing help, advice and support of those who've 'been there and done it' plus the experience we gain along the way we all have something to offer to other posters:T.

I look forward to reading your posts in the future and cheering on your success:beer:
  • spiffyiffy
    spiffyiffy Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be interested to know how you get on with this, spiffyiffy. Please keep us posted on your progress:beer:. All mine defaulted me in the summer of 2013, a few months after I started my DMP. Lloyds didn't default until early this year so obviously it will still be showing on my credit file years after the others have disappeared:(.

Are any of your debts with Lloyds? I've found that they are the most unhelpful and obstructive of all my creditors:mad:
    Thanks.

No I have none with Lloyds but I do have 3 with PRA. Now I have a 99.9% feeling all 3 will be unenforceable but the are the 3 that have only defaulted me last year when in facet my DMP started in late 2014.

I'll keep everyone updated of this and also i'll ring my creditors up in a couple of weeks as well.
  • Buzzybum
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm jumping on the thread as a DMP newbie! I have finally bitten the bullet after many years of robbing peter to pay paul and getting in more and more debt! I have set up a DMP with SC and they are currently contacting my creditors for me. My bank who I have a loan and OD with are trying to ring me, so I have today emailed them explaining I am seeking advice and asking for their cooperation.

I feel like it was all a bit to easy? SC have contacted my creditors but I haven't heard anything since? I am only a week on from signing the agreement so perhaps I shouldn't expect the wave of letters and phone calls next week?

Even getting to this stage has been a relief, and I'm actually excited to, for once, be living within my means and only spending it if I have it!
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi spiffyiffy & CBC

The wording to use to request backdated defaults is to say something along the lines of....

I informed you in mmm-yyyy that I was in financial difficulty and took advice regarding entering a DMP. You have continued to mark my credit reference files with AR/AP (change to whatever is appropriate for your circumstances). Had I been irresponsible and ignored my debts, this account would have been promptly defaulted in YYYY.

As you are aware, default markers remain on credit agency reference files for 6 years from the date of default. However, as you are also aware AP/AR markers remain for a period of 6 years after the account has been settled. Therefore had I been irresponsible and ignored this debt the default marker would drop of my CRA files in xxxx.

This letter is a formal complaint because I therefore believe you are penalising me for being responsible and trying to deal with my debts. You are treating customers who fail to keep in contact with you, and who fail to make any attempts to repay their debts more preferably than me.

The solution I am seeking to this complaint is that you default this account and back-date the default on my CRA files to dd/mmm/yyyy

Creditors would struggle to put up an argument to this - because it really is treating people who don't pay or communicate preferably and that cannot be fair. I have won the argument with BC and NW. It didn't have to go to ombudsman but I think if it did even the ombudsman would struggle to agree with the banks.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'll be interested to know how you get on with this, spiffyiffy. Please keep us posted on your progress:beer:. All mine defaulted me in the summer of 2013, a few months after I started my DMP. Lloyds didn't default until early this year so obviously it will still be showing on my credit file years after the others have disappeared....

Halifax defaulted me over a year after I started the DMP and about the time the account was sold on to Wescott. I cleared that debt last year and was going to leave it at that - but more recently I've got my head 'back in the game' and so I sent a complaint to Halifax, addressed to the 'Complaints Manager' (although I had no idea if that role existed - lol). The content was worded along the same lines as the one January 2015 has kindly provided. Long story short a few weeks later I received a letter inviting me to call their offices, which I did and by the end of that conversation the chap I spoke to agreed to backdate the default to the start of the DMP. Oddly what followed was that the default has actually been lifted from my credit file and the account status simply says 'satisfied'.

So worth chasing these backdates down and keep at it - even if you then have to take the case to the FOS.

Good luck with it.
  • Desperadoo
    Desperadoo Posts: 98 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi everyone

Going to sit down at weekend and sort our SOA with view to hubby doing a DMP ( hopefully ) . I can't due to my job so will have to just continue paying my debts .

We have no saving at all...i mean NONE....i know we should have an emergency fund but just cant see how we can do that until we stop paying our his cards. worried about this
    June grocery challenge £164 /£460...
    week 1  £87/£115 
    Week 2 £77/£115

My Debt Free Diary >>>>>https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6360269/desperate-to-sort-my-life-for-last-time
  • Cazza64
    Cazza64 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hello all

I started on my DMP journey two weeks ago with SC after many months of worry. I have 2 credit cards, 4 catalogues and a Next account. My first payment goes out to SC on the 10th July. I have received letters from the catalogues accepting my payment plan and Capital One have written to say they have defaulted already but I need to make my payments on time. I hadn't missed any payments with any of the creditors at the time of taking out the DMP but couldn't go on how I was. I feel slightly relieved but am taking one day at a time. After reading the posts on the forums it has helped me greatly. I should be debt free in 4 years.

Thank you all.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Desperadoo wrote: »
    hi everyone

Going to sit down at weekend and sort our SOA with view to hubby doing a DMP ( hopefully ) . I can't due to my job so will have to just continue paying my debts .

We have no saving at all...i mean NONE....i know we should have an emergency fund but just cant see how we can do that until we stop paying our his cards. worried about this

I can't enter a formal debt solution due to my job - but a DMP is informal and not recorded anyway - so I just went for it because I couldn't have continued as I was. Are you sure you can't enter a DMP yourself?
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hi spiffyiffy & CBC

The wording to use to request backdated defaults is to say something along the lines of....

I informed you in mmm-yyyy that I was in financial difficulty and took advice regarding entering a DMP. You have continued to mark my credit reference files with AR/AP (change to whatever is appropriate for your circumstances). Had I been irresponsible and ignored my debts, this account would have been promptly defaulted in YYYY.

As you are aware, default markers remain on credit agency reference files for 6 years from the date of default. However, as you are also aware AP/AR markers remain for a period of 6 years after the account has been settled. Therefore had I been irresponsible and ignored this debt the default marker would drop of my CRA files in xxxx.

This letter is a formal complaint because I therefore believe you are penalising me for being responsible and trying to deal with my debts. You are treating customers who fail to keep in contact with you, and who fail to make any attempts to repay their debts more preferably than me.

The solution I am seeking to this complaint is that you default this account and back-date the default on my CRA files to dd/mmm/yyyy

Creditors would struggle to put up an argument to this - because it really is treating people who don't pay or communicate preferably and that cannot be fair. I have won the argument with BC and NW. It didn't have to go to ombudsman but I think if it did even the ombudsman would struggle to agree with the banks.

Unfortunately it's not so clear cut, as the ombudsmen sided with my creditor despite the debt even being sold! I am now trying the ICO but been waiting over 5 weeks for a hint of a reply...
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts