Iresa Energy

Options
ThisIsMe
ThisIsMe Posts: 27 Forumite
edited 27 July 2018 at 11:43AM in Debt-free wannabe
MoneySavingExpert.com Insert 27 July 2018:

Iresa has ceased trading. Read our news story for what to do if you're affected:

Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers

Back to the original post...

---

Ok, I'm a little bit stuck.......

I left Iresa Energy in November 2017 following a Ombudsman case (the company blocked my switch without good reason). The Ombudsman said they needed to put a £50 credit on my account and set-up a payment plan for the rest of the debt (£161).

I have been emailing since November 2017 but never got a reply. I have now contacted them via Twitter & offered my £1 per month payment plan.

They replied with "I'm afraid that payment plan will not be acceptable. That payment plan would mean you would have paid your debt off by 2031"

I replied "I have all my paperwork done via National Debtline, as such they have told me to give the paperwork to all my creditors and offer £1 per month."

They replied: "Unfortunately, as stated in my previous message we will not accept the payment plan you have suggested. We would be happy to come to an arrangement on a more suitable payment plan."

My reply "Please see attached, all my debts get between 86p and £2.33 per month" (The photo was a screen shot of my National Debtline "NDL - BUDGET SUMMERY"

Normally i would just pay £1 per month anyway via card on the phone/website, and let the company pass my account to a DCA. But as they do not take card payments, they don't bank checks when you send them etc.

What shall i do please? Just sit and wait for it to get passed to the DCA?

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    ThisIsMe wrote: »
    What shall i do please? Just sit and wait for it to get passed to the DCA?

That may be best.

You seem to be on a very long-term plan. Would a debt relief order not suit you better?
  • ThisIsMe
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    You seem to be on a very long-term plan. Would a debt relief order not suit you better?

My total debt is only 2k. But I will be debt free by the end of the year. I know you are not meant to do this, but i pay £1-£2 to most of my debts, and pay more to the highest ones. I have paid off 6 debts (Total 3k) last year, just have the final 2k to pay off this year.

At the start i did pay everyone evenly, but stopped that as i wasn't getting anywhere, it helps my mental health to see one debt go every few months. Hence why i do it like this :) (sorry, i know we should not do this)
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    ThisIsMe wrote: »
    My total debt is only 2k. But I will be debt free by the end of the year. I know you are not meant to do this, but i pay £1-£2 to most of my debts, and pay more to the highest ones. I have paid off 6 debts (Total 3k) last year, just have the final 2k to pay off this year.

At the start i did pay everyone evenly, but stopped that as i wasn't getting anywhere, it helps my mental health to see one debt go every few months. Hence why i do it like this :) (sorry, i know we should not do this)

I see. So waiting for a DCA to take over the latest one, and maybe sorting it with a full & final settlement, is a reasonable option.

Debt-free by the end of the year?
  • ThisIsMe
    Options
    Update.........

I have now had another reply: "Whilst I understand that your debt advisor suggested that you pay £1.00 per month, this is not an offer we agree to. Our policy is that a customer in debt pays a one-off payment to clear the debt. We can also spread this over 6-months (In your case £26.90 per month). This is the same for all of our customers and cannot make an exception in this case."

& "We cannot make exceptions for individuals. All customers prior to yourself have paid as we have aforementioned. Whilst we understand that you may be experiencing financial hardship, as a business please understand that waiting until 2031 or further to be paid for a service you have already used is not something we are able to offer."

I'm starting to wonder, due to the fact Iresa are known for blocking switches if the customer is even in 1p of debt, and its only the fact I have gone to the Ombudsman, and it's them who have let me switch do Iresa not even have a DCA they pass debts to? I have searched on Google and can't actually find anything about them passing on, or selling debts......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure