Unknown amount of HMRC, for a dissolved company and personal

Options
Hello moneysavers
I'm trying to help my other half out of a long-term debt situation, he's woken up to the reality of it all but we're struggling to find out all the debts.
One of the main unknowns is that he was trading as a company whilst on agency contracts within the NHS, having been advised this was a good way to set up. He had an accountancy firm doing everything.
Then came a time when his personal life was turned upside down (wife having an affair, cancer scare, credit cards maxed etc) and everything admin stopped.
Accounts/Returns were filed with Companies House and, I assume, HMRC, for the year to March 16. Nothing was filed for March 17, IR35 came in so he was no longer trading as a company from April 17 and is paid through an umbrella arrangement.
The company was dissolved by Companies House (through inaction) in September 17.

Can anyone help with what needs to be filed, with whom, where there might be penalties and other fees and any outstanding liabilities? The HMRC website and helpline are sending me in circles. I think this might all have gone away.

We're also trying to discover the personal liabilities but so far have four different Government Gateway accounts, none of which have come with the code to access anything online. I'm giving the post another couple of days to see if anything arrives from them, including paper tax returns for 16/17 and 17/18 which we've requested by phone.

Many thanks for your help.
Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement

Comments

• so_very_confused
    Options
    Are HMRC actively pursuing him for past unpaid revenues?
    You say the company was dissolved, did HMRC raise any objection to this?
    I hope someone with more knowledge than I have comes along but if they have not pursued him and the company is now dissolved, depending on how much he thinks he owes, it may be best to let sleeping dogs lie.
    I suggest you seek advice from buisness debtline before you delve to deeply with HMRC.
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    Thank you.

His personal tax code is collecting a lot of apparently unpaid tax (£11,000-ish), we don't yet have an activation code for self assessment to see any detail. I fear a lot of that is penalties.
    I managed to speak to a Corporation Tax HMRC person who said if it's dissolved it's gone, nothing to file, nothing to pay.
    It's all a bit of a mystery at the moment.
  • so_very_confused
    Options
    Go with HMRC re the company, nothing to file, nothing to pay.
    Phone the local tax office to query his tax code but act dim re any liability as it sounds as though they have allowed dissolution, they usually object to this if there are any monies owing and they are going to chase you.
    As you say there maybe some in 11,000 or it maybe unpaid tax, but come to an arrangement. The less digging you/they do the better by the sounds of it!
    If you are unhappy with response from tax office , again ring buisness debt line but it does sound as though there are no monies owing.
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    Thank you - I'll take it gently with HMRC, just want to get it sorted once and for all and be able to move on :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport