Terms not always upheld

Options
Hi I hope someone is able to offer advice. I have been a full member of my gym for 15 years always paying full membership (not cheap). My daughter started working there in June 17 we found out in Jan I could have a cheaper membership on her family & friends discount. I gave the standard 3 months notice to move to this in Jan so would have moved to new membership May 18. Recently got a call saying I would have to leave for 3 months prior to moving to the family & friends deal. When I queried this as I am aware other members have moved straight over the manager said although the rule had not been enforced previously at all times his hands were tied and he refused to budge. I really do not want to leave for 3 months, do I have any legal standing as this rule by the managers admittance has not always been enforced? He is a new manager and it seems whereas previous managers ignored the rule he will not. He has asked me to put in writing my dissatisfaction and he will forward it to head office. It does seem crazy when they are refusing for me to be a member there for 3 months. Are there any consumer laws or any advice that would help me in this situation?

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If that are there terms and conditions of being a family and friends member (No membership with them for 3 months) then that is their conditions. If the manager is sticking to their conditions then that is their right to, there are no rules to state that the manager HAS to not stick to terms and conditions.

I would question it with head office though as I think someone is reading things wrong. It seems counter productive to get someone to give 3 months notice and then have to leave for 3 months. (Unless it is a new customer offer) as that gives current members a chance to join somewhere else and realise it is better than where they were and never come back.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport