Work blaming me for something I couldn’t avoid!

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could you look at getting yourself a moped? If you're unsure/unstable on 2 wheels, there are nifty 3-wheeled versions.

If you're happy to cycle the distance, then using a moped to cover that distance makes it a viable option.

At the moment you appear to rely on other people sorting out your life for you... e.g. employer arranging lift, the lift itself. Become independent.

It's good to be independent. Have moped will travel, shop, go out, get to work, visit places, get groceries. Full of win.
  • Diamandis
    Options
    If your whole wage goes in the first week it might be worth looking at this article: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/Budget-planning
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If is a bit rubbish that your lift didn't mention that they wouldn't be in today but it is your problem to sort when they didn't turn up. It's not your employers problem, you need to sort a way to get to work. Can you try freecycle to see if there's a bike on there? Doesn't matter if your work aren't happy with you cycling in, it's not their business how you get to work as long as you get there on time.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You nneed to get your own transport sorted, whether as a backup or to make your own way there rather than rely on someone else.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Also, it may be that you colleague wasn't too keen on being asked to give you a lift. Do you give them petrol money? It may be that they didn't tell you they were going to be of as a passive aggressive way of showing they are not happy with the arrangement.
    I think it would be sensible for you to sort out your own transport to work as a priority, and until them, try to set aside enough money to cover a taxi in emergencies.

it's your responsibility to get yourself to work on time.

It's annoying that you colleague didn't tell you, but again, it is your responsibility to check that your transport is available and to have a back up plan in place.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I can certainly understand not wanting to cycle in bad weather, but you really do need to look into a backup plan to get yourself to work. What would you do if the person currently giving you a lift left the job?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why are you asking for the whole day off as a holiday? Why didn't you just phone them to say you'd be in late due to a miscommunication and then make up the hours at the end of the day?

You might have had no way to get into work on time, but it's pushing it somewhat to claim there was no way to get in at all...
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As well as dealing with today, you also need to consider a plan for the future. As others have said, what happens on the 30-odd potential days your colleague doesn't work. Or if needs to start late/finish early for something? Or his car breaks down. Or he's ill. Or a myriad of other reasons why you might be stuck.

For this job to be sustainable you need another option. Perhaps get a motorbike, cheap 125cc or even 50cc moped and do your CBT/theory.

As it stands you're looking at an unauthorised absence every time this happens, you won't last long in the role with that.
  • Madbags
    Madbags Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Until this sort of thing happens you won't learn you can't rely on other people.

I used to walk to my workplace, at similar times of the morning, it used to take me 1 hour and 45 minutes to walk to work, spend all day on my feet (factory work) and then do the same on the walk home.

I got to know a guy who went the same way as me to work but in his car. The first day he decided to not turn up was the last day I ever asked him to pick me up again. But I called in and said I would be late and still turned up, I never walked so damn fast in my life,

So I went back to walking, I couldn't afford a bike or car or moped, there was no salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme then or anything.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dont know why they wouldnt let hou take holiday, what's the alternative - unpaid leave? That way they lose your time and work twice (you would still have the holiday due).
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure