Defined benefit element of works pension

Options
Good evening . I have been a member of my works pension for approx 18 years . For the first couple of years it was a defined benefit pension and from then until now defined contribution . The defined element gives me 7.2% of my salary . I then pay in 4.5% of my salary whilst the company pay 11.5% . My questions are as follows :-

Is this 7.2% the percentage of my final salary when I retire or indeed leave the company ?
Does this amount ever increase , ie , with inflation ?

With regards to the 16% that currently gets paid into my pension in the defined contribution element . Whilst there is 16% going in is there any growth that boosts this beyond 16% ?

Whilst I understand that my pension grows by RPi max 2.5% I didn’t know whether there was any additional growth .

If I left the company would the pot only grow by RPI max 2.5% ?

I have arranged an appointment with the companies pension rep but it is some way off , hence the questions . Many thanks for any help .

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you have a scheme booklet? If not, get hold of a copy and do a bit of reading.

The defined benefit element you have built up could be based on your pensionable salary (your booklet will give the definition of that - it isn't necessarily the same thing as your actual salary) at the time DB build up ceased, or there could be a link to current salary. Again, the booklet will answer that question - ditto how it increases between now and when you leave the company/take your scheme benefits.

The DC section of your pension works quite differently. The 16% is invested and (hopefully) grows depending on the performance of the funds in which it is invested. Don't be alarmed if there are times when the value dips a bit - investment performance fluctuates over time. If you leave the company, it remains invested until you draw your benefits. Again, the change in value is based on fund performance.
  • shilts
    shilts Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the reply . I will see if I can find some literature regarding DB . I thought that it would only be the 16% per year plus RPI so that!!!8217;s good to know , thanks .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure