Pension fund

Options
Several weeks ago i got a letter from the DWP saying that Phoenix Life were tiring to find me. Enclosed was a letter from PL saying they are trying to contact me regarding a pension. I called them but because I couldn’t remember the bank i used to pay i would have to fill in a form giving 40 years of work/banking/ housing details. I did this as best i could . They have wrote back with my policy number and confirmation that i am the policy holder but still want policy documents, sort code and account number used to pay the premium held by them.
Having moved around a lot with mainly unskilled jobs and social housing i just cant remember any more details.
Any ideas what i can do? Any where i can put my policy number to give me a clue?
I don’t understand if they can give me a policy number to an account in my name why they are stone walling me.
Last year i had the same thing happen and it turned out to be a small NHS pension from 40 years ago. They were great helping me, not like PL.
Thanks

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They aren't stonewalling; they are trying to ensure that you are the correct person, but seem to be making their lives harder as well as yours.

The one unique identifier you haven't mentioned is your NI number. Have you confirmed it (which is likely to be how the DWP tracing service 'found' you) to Phoenix? If not, you should have some sort of document which shows your NI number (an old payslip, a pension payslip, a communication from the tax office perhaps?). Ask them if that will suffice and if not, why not.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Several weeks ago i got a letter from the DWP saying that Phoenix Life were tiring to find me.

Worn out with the effort?:)

Write to PL acknowledging their letter in which they confirm that you are the policy holder in question.

Explain that you are unable to locate the policy documents (lost in the course of a number of house moves) and that you no longer have details of the bank account through which the payment was made.
    As the poster above says, you can offer your NI number with supporting documentary evidence showing it in use.
  • Hamp1
    Options
    Thanks for quick answers. PL sent a covering letter along with a 3 page identifier form to fill in. Included in this was a part for my NI number which I gave them.
    Also I can find no email address to contact them. If I phone them they say that they can’t tell me anything unless I tell them the bank details.
    Frustrating
    Thanks
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,030 Forumite
    Options
    Hamp1 wrote: »
    Thanks for quick answers. PL sent a covering letter along with a 3 page identifier form to fill in. Included in this was a part for my NI number which I gave them.
    Also I can find no email address to contact them. If I phone them they say that they can’t tell me anything unless I tell them the bank details.
    Frustrating
    Thanks

I think that is understandable for not giving the details over the phone, to be honest.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hamp1 wrote: »
    Frustrating
    Thanks

Write to them. You cannot conduct this sort of business over the phone or via email if they have no way of confirming who you are.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also I can find no email address to contact them.

And email is never used for fraud and is such a reliable secure method of communication!

Phoenix have paid a company to trace you. They have contacted you but need you to do your bit now. Rather than criticise them for doing the right thing in trying to locate the right person, you should remember that its your fault that they didnt hold the up-to-date details and its only you that is going to lose out if you become difficult.

You need to paint a picture by giving them some details of your history. Do it in writing by telling them that you dont recall you full history but here is what you do recall. i.e. addresses, banks you used etc.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,548 Forumite
    Options

Time to bring up "Word", type a letter setting out your circumstances and send to the address given in the letter received from PL.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure