Suspended – what to do?

Options

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I suggest you ring them and soon.

They may want to hear your version of events etc.

Please don't stick your head in the sand, get on to the union as well

Good luck
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • D_Jennings
    Options
    I hope by now you have taken others advice and have started the grievance process. Please let us know how you are getting on.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Very silly not to answer the phone

The manager could have told them you went awol and have been incommuncado

You need to do as others say - the grievance procedure- and have something in writing as a back up.

I don't agree.

The OP has been suspended by his employer so answering the phone to a 3rd party supplier and telling them he has been suspended would make the situation far worse.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree, I'd suggest discussing your employer's business with their client to be tantamount to gross misconduct.

If by any mischance you speak to the client all you should say is speak to my employer.
  • Nookie5
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I agree, I'd suggest discussing your employer's business with their client to be tantamount to gross misconduct.

If by any mischance you speak to the client all you should say is speak to my employer.

I would still call the supplier and tell them you won't be available for the time being, you're following instructions from your employer, not able to discuss the reasons and they should contact the employer. At least you won't be seen as AWOL and the employer can't paint this impression to the supplier.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2018 at 6:56PM
    Options
    Hi all,

I was called into the office on Friday. The union and HR ladies took down some details, advised me they had raised my grievance - then I was told to go home they would be in contact. It was very formal with absolutely no information imparted to me at all, it all flowed the other way.

The questions all seemed to center around my 'refusal' to comply with my direct managers request. I must admit I was rather surprised at the negative vibe I was getting off them both that i should have just done as as asked and handed over the login, abandoned my role and changed my hours THEN taken the matter up with them.

I clearly advised why I was not happy to do so (passing along a copy of my contract, my role requirements and the data form - attached to my grievance) They gave the very strong impression that they were of the opinion that making that determination was entirely above my pay grade.

I see a dismissal looming.

Further meeting scheduled next Tuesday - much to the amusement of my new manager who said 'see you next Tuesday' as I left and laughed with his coworker at the phrasing.

* I was due to have a meeting with the union lass beforehand to get and idea what was going on - but she arrived very late so we had to go directly into the meeting. Oddly though she sat on the same side of the table as HR rather than with me - but i think i may be over analyzing things.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt your are over analysing. I don't know any union rep who sits with HR, even if we despise the member (rare, but it does happen).

I'd advise that you start looking for another job. I don't think this is going to go well, I'm afraid. Regrettably, if this is the approach they will take, they are correct, and unless they screw up on process, a tribunal is likely to agree if it ever gets that far. It's entirely irrelevant what their relationship is with their partner and how they fulfill it. If the partner isn't happy, that up to them to raise with the employer. It isn't your job to determine what you will and won't do. And a job description isn't a legally binding document- regardless of what it says, your are expected to follow the lawful instructions of your employer.

And before you raise GDPR - it also isn't your job to decide on behalf of the employer how they comply with it. If your employer had decided to fulfill their contractual obligations in a different way, that's between them and the other party - not you.

Given what you are describing went on here, I don't think they are going to support you against the manager. I may be wrong, but if I'm not, this isn't going to go the way you want.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sangie595,

Thank you for your sage advice, i think the writing is on the wall too.

To be fair i fell foul of a split role and my loyalty lay with the supplier as they were my team for several years, looked after me and it was with them i had a great work bond. So when advised the throw them under the bus work wise and give out their login i know how outraged they would have been. I forgot the golden rule, he who pays you holds all the cards.

Sigh.

Stings a bit as the manager gets his way and torpedo's my good job where i was hard working and valued. right up to being moved into his team.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Do you have anything you have signed from the supplier to say you will not disclose their logon details or is the document you signed for this in your employers name? If it is supplier documentation you may have more leeway to argue you couldn't go against it.

I would try the angle its not that you weren't prepared to share the login details just that you are asking for that line to be remove from your contract to enable you to do so.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Elinore wrote: »
    Hi Sangie595,

Thank you for your sage advice, i think the writing is on the wall too.

To be fair i fell foul of a split role and my loyalty lay with the supplier as they were my team for several years, looked after me and it was with them i had a great work bond. So when advised the throw them under the bus work wise and give out their login i know how outraged they would have been. I forgot the golden rule, he who pays you holds all the cards.

Sigh.

Stings a bit as the manager gets his way and torpedo's my good job where i was hard working and valued. right up to being moved into his team.
    Yes, I understand. But you are right - a bit late in the day, regrettably- your employer pays you and you do what they say (obviously, within the law). And to be fair, the entire arrangement is illogical. You are the only person with the log in and who can do the work? So what happens when you go under that bus? You could be injured, sick, leave or dismissed. And there's no measures to deal with that?

If this doesn't go any better, I'd suggest that you discover humble pie. Apologise, say toy misunderstood, whatever... Don't provoke them further. Sick your head down, do your job, whatever that is, and play for time to get another job. Don't get yourself sacked with no job to go to.

If the supplier asks any questions, the answer to all of them is "I'm sorry but that's not in my purview, please speak to my manager as I don't have any say in xxxxx". Don't get stuck in the middle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure