Co-op customer service is non-existant

Options
Hi,
I need some advice regarding my Career Development loan and the complaint I have raised with Co-operative about their extremely poor customer service. The main issue is their lack of customer service, however it was because of a extremely stressful and unnecessary move on their part that has caused this. Despite paying off nearly half of my loan early and maintaining the agreed payments and never been in default, Co-op have decided to pass over my remaining debt over to Skipton, a debt collection agency. As a first time buyer, the fact my name is even associated with a agency like this is stressful enough.

Quite frankly, the ineptitude of the customer service from Co-op was astounding. Every communication I have had with them regarding this has been faulty (letters, service line and even the in-branch service was pitiful). Due to this, I wrote a lengthy complaint to their complaints email address where I stated that I wanted answers to . Four days later, I received a generic 'we have received your complaint' letter and have had no further communication from them since.

I had a better customer service from Skipton who were very informative and clear (unlike Co-op) which I think says a lot their customer service.

I am at the end of my tether as I have stated that I want all communication in written form, but Co-op are refusing to address the problem. I will be going down the financial ombudsman route but you have to give them 8 weeks to come up with a final investigation, which is just extending this stress even more. Has anyone had any success with Co-op recognizing their complaint?

Comments

• PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to make a formal complaint stating your grievances and how they could remedy them. If they aren't responding to emails then I would suggest sending a letter by recorded delivery so there is no doubt that they haven't received it. If they don't respond after 8 weeks, or if they do respond and can't solve your problem, then you can escalate it to the FOS.
  • Southend1
    Southend1 Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's only been a few days since you wrote to them! Give them a chance. Try to put it out of your mind for a few weeks until they have a chance to look into it and write back.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Eleni_C wrote: »
    The main issue is their lack of customer service, however it was because of a extremely stressful and unnecessary move on their part that has caused this. Despite paying off nearly half of my loan early and maintaining the agreed payments and never been in default, Co-op have decided to pass over my remaining debt over to Skipton, a debt collection agency.

So what's the full story behind this - are you genuinely suggesting that you were up to date with all payments since taking out the loan and you'd actually overpaid on top of this and yet they still sent it to debt collectors with no notification ??
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's nothing to stop a lender offloading a debt to anyone, including a debt collector, at any point in time.

The fact that it is with a debt collector is immaterial, nobody but you will see who owns the debt on your credit file. As long as the status is being recorded accurately (not defaulted and up-to-date) you're really worrying over nothing.
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Am I missing something here?

Skipton are a building society, not a debt collection agency.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gaz83 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?

Skipton are a building society, not a debt collection agency.

There is apparently a "Skipton Debt Collection Agency" although their website is broken.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure