What do I need for a full system.

Options
Hi,

Has anyone used UK Energy Solutions, Got them coming round for full system quote. This is what I understand so far that I should get:

1. As many panels as I can and the large output one. Although this may take my over the allowed limit it won’t matter as the inverter will cap it.
2. Battery storage, looks like it’s not that much more, but should I set the provision for it and wait a couple of years before adding a battery.
3. I really like the idea of the Air to water heat pumps that can connect up to my current hot water meaning no gas needed for tank heat or radiators? Is this a good idea?
4. If using a heat pump, make sure it doesn’t have the chemicals in it that will soon be banned.

Any other advice?

Thanks

Martin
6kWp system, 20 x 300W Longi Solar panels with a Solis 6.0 inverter + Wifi and iBoost
22deg pitch East to west 12 panels on the East and 8 on the West

Comments

• Exiled_Tyke
    Options
    Some thoughts:

1. Agreed
    2. Battery storage is still not financially viable as the costs are still greater than from buying from the grid. Current rules allow reduced VAT if buying with a system - but a system could just be one extra panel with a micro inverter - you could possible leave room and capacity for this should costs decrease.
    3. I looked at this and decided it wasn’t viable. The systems are very expensive and unlikely to pay for themselves. My current boiler should be about 24kW which if it were on full time for lets day 5 hours a day would use 120 kWh. Assuming a COP of around 4 - that means I neeed 30 kWh of electricity to run it. At this time of year I’m lucky to get between one and two kWh - so I get around 20-30 p of free electricity. It’s fair to assume running costs of the heat pump to be around the same as that of a gas boiler. So this 20-30p saving is about all there is to be had which will never pay back the investment of the pump.
    4. I think is academic.

Hope this helps
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • mgbond
    mgbond Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your input.
    6kWp system, 20 x 300W Longi Solar panels with a Solis 6.0 inverter + Wifi and iBoost
  • mgbond
    Options
    What about air to air heat pumps?
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mgbond wrote: »
    What about air to air heat pumps?

There is a thread on here covering PV homes with ASHPs. Experiences appear to be very good. An ASHP isn't anything like as expensive and can be used to provide supplementary heat in spring and autumn (as well as as cooling in summer). Get one installed in the right place in the house and it may also save by heating a small area of the house at times when you don't need the full central heating system on. I do like the idea although for me personally the numbers don't quite work out either
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Hi Martin, just to add a little to ET's lines I've added a link to the thread to which I believe he is referring below.
    Having had Solar installed only this last April I'm all rather new to this as well. However if you follow the thread below you will see my contributions, mostly seeking advice, so have benefitted from the sound advice passed on by other members. ET is correct in that the thread was originally set up to utilise spare solar energy produced through spring, summer and autumn. Heating in spring, autumn then cooling in summer. With air to air heat pumps delivering around 4/5 kWh of heat for every single kWh of electricity consumed then the cost of heating, even when being drawn from the grid, is reduced to that paid for gas, or possibly even less. Naturally some of the time it will run purely by the solar panels.

As there name suggests I don't believe they can be used for heating water and therefore not able to feed your radiators. But if you are keen on reducing your dependency on FF,s then they are certainly worthy of consideration. Given the right circumstances they can be used to replace conventional radiator systems as we shall be trialing this winter.

We've had a single unit installed in the lounge of our bungalow as the thread originally suggested. This heats our lounge/diner and also the hall leading from it. If you follow the thread you will discover we are planning a second unit in our small lobby from which doors to the bathroom, two bedrooms and hall open from it. Given that bedrooms are not usually heated as much as other rooms we are hoping this second unit will make the bathroom toasty while supplying just sufficient heat to the bedrooms also. I may be being a little optimistic but am hoping the two units could make our existing gas powered CH system redundant.
    As stated it may not suit every property but I believe is a cost effective(both in installation and running costs) means of replacing an existing heating system and well worth spending the time investigating to see if it would suit your home.

I'm sure others more experienced will add their thoughts/advice too.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4715287
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • mgbond
    edited 3 December 2018 at 9:36PM
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I had someone round today and have a price for Solar that I would like to run past you all.

14 panels 300w Q Cell (German company) 13yr warranty and 25yr Guarantee.
    1 x Solar Edge wave System (20yr warranty)

£8120 and that is inclusive of Vat

They also have a Me Boost fitted £600 and that diverts any excess production to the Emersion tank until it’s heated. I’m sure you can get them cheaper than that though.

What do you think

For info my roof is 65 Deg Eeast to South and 22deg pitched roof. We settled on 8 front and 4 back to give more spread over the day rather than max. This would give 3,848 kWh from a 4.2kw system

Martin
  • Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seems overpriced to me.

I had 17 x 300w, each with an optimser and a solar edge inverter across 4 different roofs, including a flat one, for £6200 back in September. I'd hope that prices will continue to fall.

The iBoost thing is about £300.
    https://www.marlec.co.uk/product/solar-iboost/?v=79cba1185463

You said 14 x 300w, but then said 8 on the front, 4 on the back? Is it 12 or 14?

Is there anything stopping you having more panels (aside from cost?). Remember, this is a one off install and the FIT can only be applied for once against the first install. And no one ever said 'less solar is better'. :D
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • mgbond
    Options
    Zarch wrote: »
    Seems overpriced to me.

I had 17 x 300w, each with an optimser and a solar edge inverter across 4 different roofs, including a flat one, for £6200 back in September. I'd hope that prices will continue to fall.

The iBoost thing is about £300.
    https://www.marlec.co.uk/product/solar-iboost/?v=79cba1185463

You said 14 x 300w, but then said 8 on the front, 4 on the back? Is it 12 or 14?

Is there anything stopping you having more panels (aside from cost?). Remember, this is a one off install and the FIT can only be applied for once against the first install. And no one ever said 'less solar is better'. :D

Sorry, that was 6 on the back.

My understanding is that I would have to apply to have more than a 4.2kwh system so having more panels would mean I need to request permission right?

Who did you use? and was that inc Vat

Martin
  • Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Installation company in sig; CTS Renewables. Yep, including VAT and everything.

As per details in this quote thread: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5928038

You need no permission as long as you don't install greater than a 3.68kwh inverter. I have 5.1 of panels on a 3.68 intervter, no DNO permission required.

On a split aspect install, sticking with a 3.68 inverter can make sense as you are unlikely to get the full beans out of two lots of panels facing different directions at the same time.

The only time you need DNO permission (G59) is when you install an inverter greater than 3.68. So maybe you have 5.5kwh of panels facing the same way and a 5kwh inverter makes sense. The installer should be able to advise on this.

Depending on your region (and local power authority) there may be a charge for the application, so worth checking. Northern Power wanted £300 for my application. I didn't think i'd get that back in FIT over the long term, so went with the 3.68 inverter instead and saved the money. But your situation may be different, so i'd suggest getting Excel on the go and do some maths if required.

Hope this helps.
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • mgbond
    Options
    Zarch wrote: »
    Installation company in sig; CTS Renewables. Yep, including VAT and everything.

As per details in this quote thread: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5928038

You need no permission as long as you don't install greater than a 3.68kwh inverter. I have 5.1 of panels on a 3.68 intervter, no DNO permission required.

On a split aspect install, sticking with a 3.68 inverter can make sense as you are unlikely to get the full beans out of two lots of panels facing different directions at the same time.

The only time you need DNO permission (G59) is when you install an inverter greater than 3.68. So maybe you have 5.5kwh of panels facing the same way and a 5kwh inverter makes sense. The installer should be able to advise on this.

Depending on your region (and local power authority) there may be a charge for the application, so worth checking. Northern Power wanted £300 for my application. I didn't think i'd get that back in FIT over the long term, so went with the 3.68 inverter instead and saved the money. But your situation may be different, so i'd suggest getting Excel on the go and do some maths if required.

Hope this helps.

Perfect, thanks.

Here is a contentious one. How about Ikea, their Roof plus offer is 295kwh panels and 16 panels at around 7k. However they do not use micro inverters or Solar Edge?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport