New State Pension Guide

Options

Comments

• Johnkst
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Does it say how many full NI years you have ?

Yes. Though it is a different link on your 'Personal Account' page to the State Pensions forecast page.
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    And does it give a cOPE figure ?

Again yes There's a link on the forecast page that takes you to a new page for COPE. On mine it says: Your COPE estimate is £31.02 a week.
  • Johnkst
    Options
    So don't be too proud to sign on. Good luck fj

Thanks, Freddie. But pride has nothing to do with it. I would just rather pay my own 'stamp' than have anything to do with the kind of idiot you have to deal with at the Job Centre - can't help you to find work. but quick to suggest you're 'not doing enough to find work yourself. That's just me though. In general it is good advice for people to sign on and get their stamp paid for them..
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 September 2016 at 9:22PM
    Options
    So don't be too proud to sign on. Good luck fj
    Originally posted by bigfreddiel
    Thanks, Freddie. But pride has nothing to do with it. I would just rather pay my own 'stamp' than have anything to do with the kind of idiot you have to deal with at the Job Centre - can't help you to find work. but quick to suggest you're 'not doing enough to find work yourself. That's just me though. In general it is good advice for people to sign on and get their stamp paid for them..
    John - you're so right. Mr S and I retired from the Armed Forces back when we needed 44 years (him) and 39 years (me) NI conts in order to qualify for the full basic State pension. The resettlement advice given was that if we didn't start civvie jobs the day after leaving the RAF we should 'sign on' to get our NI paid so we wouldn't lose a full year. We knew that our pensions ruled out JSA, but DWP didn't have a form for just NI. We had to complete the full JSA application form which was a faff and a half. One of the questions was ' what are your savings? If you have more than £8K, then you may not be entitled to JSA'. We both put '£8K plus'. The forms were shoved back to us with the demand for details of our actual savings 'for our records'. We refused, and reminded the clerk - again - that we were only claiming NI conts. They finally accepted the form, but some time later we got letters stating - wait for it - 'your application for JSA has been carefully considered but is not approved because according to Government guidelines you have too much money to live on !!
    We did get our stamp paid, but had to 'sign on' every two weeks and show details of our job search activities. At the 3 month point, at which time I had been interviewed for a job but hadn't been informed that I had got it, we were called in for a 'special interview'. Silly me thought that the young minnie had actually read my file. Wrong - she just rabbited on about how I couldn't be too picky, and that if I didn't get a job in the next two weeks they would either insist that I took any job, or they would stop my 'benefits'. I' d had enough of this, so I told her that I would pay my own NI and asked her how I should go about paying it. She didn't have a clue.
  • bigfreddiel
    Options
    John and Silver, I agree signing on was a complete farce, when I was made redundant I was back at my place of work on a week by week casual contract, earning about £1k per week (1990 so not too bad pay!). But I was still allowed to sign on each week and just declare my earnings. Stamp paid, but no benefit. Casual work lasted about 10 weeks, I already had my £20k redundancy, £10k in earnings, but then I got my benefit, about £30 or was it £40/week then?

I too had to attend various 'events' like the executives club or some sort of contrived name. As long as I signed in, had my interview, cup of tea and biccie, stamp was paid, happy days. I wasn't doing anything else anyway so it was something to look forward to in a way.

After six months, summer was over so I decided I had better get a job, which I did all by myself.

Cheers fj
  • GazHol
    GazHol Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    John and Silver, I agree signing on was a complete farce, when I was made redundant I was back at my place of work on a week by week casual contract, earning about £1k per week (1990 so not too bad pay!). But I was still allowed to sign on each week and just declare my earnings. Stamp paid, but no benefit. Casual work lasted about 10 weeks, I already had my £20k redundancy, £10k in earnings, but then I got my benefit, about £30 or was it £40/week then?

I too had to attend various 'events' like the executives club or some sort of contrived name. As long as I signed in, had my interview, cup of tea and biccie, stamp was paid, happy days. I wasn't doing anything else anyway so it was something to look forward to in a way.

After six months, summer was over so I decided I had better get a job, which I did all by myself.

Cheers fj

OH signed on after redundancy and continued after the 6 months payments (not means tested until 6th month point) to keep NI. Staff at the centre wished OH good luck and said they would miss their fortnightly chats when OH got a job. They told her that a number of attendees only signed on to keep their mortgage payment protection insurance valid.
  • bigfreddiel
    Options
    Luckily I had paid my mortgage off when I was made redundant, so that was never a problem. fj
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone know the backstop date for updating the SP amounts using Apr 2016 NI figures ?
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was advised to wait until October.You could always call first and make sure they are in.
  • roxy28
    roxy28 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    A person who will reach SP age in march 2019 and now retired so no more NI payments. They have had a SP forecast of £141 so £14 off the £155 figure, can they only make around 2 and a half years voluntary contributions to gain more SP.

The SP will be drawn as soon as they are allowed too, and not defered.
    :T
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They can only make voluntary contributions for the years up until April 2018 as they retire in the 2018-19 tax year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback