When does 6 yr rule start

Options
Does the 6 years begin from the date of the Bankruptcy Order or the date of the Discharge ?

Ours started 14th May 2014 and we were discharged on 27th May 2015. So does the 6 yrs end in 2020 or 2021 ? Grateful for some clarification. Thank you.

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 May 2019 at 1:05PM
    Options
    Date of BR I believe. So 2020.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,886 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The date the bankrupcy order was granted.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Cloneshormone01
    Options
    Agreed 6 years from date of BR but loads if not most lenders extend that to 7 ignoring the start date and assuming discharge date as the beginning. This is also helped by recalcitrant lenders refusing to delete settled debts captured in your BR estate.
  • Frank38
    Frank38 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you. Sorry took so long to reply.
  • Frank38
    Frank38 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry took so long to answer.
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agreed 6 years from date of BR but loads if not most lenders extend that to 7 ignoring the start date and assuming discharge date as the beginning. This is also helped by recalcitrant lenders refusing to delete settled debts captured in your BR estate.

You can and probably should start getting the default dates set correctly before the 6 years is up. For my IVA I started querying the default dates 3-6 months after discharge (some 4-5 years before the 6 year point)
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    This confuses me as well. The others appear fine, but on mse credit club some of my accounts state updated 6 months after my discharge, and are settled 18 months before my bankruptcy. It is just so confusing. At least they do show as settled.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family