Stocard App (anybody used it)

Options
First unsure if this is the correct section of the forum to post this so if it needs to be moved then that is ok.
I've just downloaded an app from the Google Play Store for android phone called Stocard. Basically you scan your loyalty cards onto the app and thus saving having to carry all your cards together or like me and my wife having one loyalty card but with the other person needing it somewhere else.
Just wanted to see if anybody had used it and what they thought of it?
I've not had chance to use it properly yet but I have added the following cards to it.
Costa, Hobbycraft, Iceland, Ikea Family, KFC, Matalan, Morrisons, Nando's, Nectar, Starbucks, Subway, Tesco, The Body Shop, The Perfume Shop,Waitrose and Waterstone's.

I don't actually use all those cards but I found them lying in a drawer and wanted to see if any of them would be added by the app.

Comments

• lady_u
    lady_u Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I used it, brilliant! Thanks for sharing
  • Myusernamehasgone
    Options
    andrew71 wrote: »
    First unsure if this is the correct section of the forum to post this so if it needs to be moved then that is ok.
    I've just downloaded an app from the Google Play Store for android phone called Stocard. Basically you scan your loyalty cards onto the app and thus saving having to carry all your cards together or like me and my wife having one loyalty card but with the other person needing it somewhere else.
    Just wanted to see if anybody had used it and what they thought of it?
    I've not had chance to use it properly yet but I have added the following cards to it.
    Costa, Hobbycraft, Iceland, Ikea Family, KFC, Matalan, Morrisons, Nando's, Nectar, Starbucks, Subway, Tesco, The Body Shop, The Perfume Shop,Waitrose and Waterstone's.

I don't actually use all those cards but I found them lying in a drawer and wanted to see if any of them would be added by the app.

We use it and love it.
  • atlantis187
    atlantis187 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    does not work in the following stores I tried
    morrisons
    Iceland
    Tesco
    boots

the assistant had to manually enter the card number each time
  • andrew71
    andrew71 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    does not work in the following stores I tried
    morrisons
    Iceland
    Tesco
    boots

the assistant had to manually enter the card number each time

I noticed that it didn't work also in the stores you mentioned. But I did notice that when I scanned the app for Tesco to use a hand held scanner it scanned it ok.
  • nddyer
    Options
    I think the Stocard app is brilliant, I have all my storecards on my phone and until this weekend had no problems, however Sainsburys have now said they will not accept any nectar cards stored on phones & won't enter the number manually - I have challenged them and they have said you have to carry their card or lose the points - lost my business now!
  • arlene22
    Options
    Lost my points today - both cashier and customer service adviser refused to add my points via app. They will only allow points with your card. I've had to request a new card be sent out. Up until last week it worked fine - called Nectar who confirmed the store was correct in their policy, but refused to give any explanation for the change... not happy!
  • drdestructo
    Options
    Lost points? Yeah, makes sense. The purpose of the 'loyalty cards' is to track you and your spending habits. The data is used by the original company to target you better. Also, the raw data is sold to 'data mining' companies that also buy (or have mutual exchange agreements) to farm you and your spending habits to build a virtual 'money' profile of you. With enough sources of data, this picture is very, very accurate.

So, on to the lost points. If you hold their card in your hand, they are pretty sure you are 'you'; or perhaps a family member or a friend. Most of the card storage apps allow you to share the card with your 'family members'...digitally. Well, that assumes you are basically honest. If you are dishonest, a simple scenario could look something like this: You want points. So, you walk around the dorm offering people a digital card to their favorite store, so they too can partake of the offered discounts. And every time they use the digital card, you collect the points...huzzah!

Well, the chances of you buying 116 pregnancy tests and 2002 condoms in a fortnight is practically nil, the computers pretty quickly figure out that something is wrong and the 'I'm confused by bad data' flag is raised. Since computers don't do well with partial solutions, the company decided that all digital card storage apps are bad. But they don't control the world...yet...so they decide to King Solomon it. You can still use the card storage app but no longer get the points. Or you can use the physical card and get the points.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport