PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fruit cake recipe

Options
Please help me with a fruit cake recipe!!

My mother in law passed away a couple of weeks ago. She used to make the most amazing fruit cakes, and when I asked for the recipe, she could never tell me as it was all by eye. Hers was a 10" cake, always lovely and moist with lots of sultanas and cherries.

I have tried Mary Berry's recipe as I love her Christmas cake, but the fruit sank to the bottom and it was dry. Another one I tried was a 'rubbing fat into flour' and adding an egg and milk, bit this was really dry too.

Does anyone have an old style easy recipe that I could try please? Thanks x

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you ever see her making it?

There are two starting points:

1] Weigh it all into a bowl, mix it, pour it into the tin, bake.
    2] Weigh dry into a bowl, put some stuff into a saucepan, pour the dry into the saucepan, pour it into the tin, bake.

In short ... for starters ... was there ever any clue a saucepan was involved?
  • Sunshine_and_Roses
    Options
    Did you ever see her making it?

There are two starting points:

1] Weigh it all into a bowl, mix it, pour it into the tin, bake.
    2] Weigh dry into a bowl, put some stuff into a saucepan, pour the dry into the saucepan, pour it into the tin, bake.

In short ... for starters ... was there ever any clue a saucepan was involved?

Never saw her making it, there was always one in the cake tin tho! Don't think she made it in a saucepan, cant remember her saying anything about it.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was going to suggest a boiled fruit cake recipe - there's loads online and they tend to be really moist and squidgy, especially if you can find a recipe that uses condensed milk. There's a link here to a Mary Berry boiled fruit cake, although I'd go for glace rather than glacier cherries :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2018 at 7:48PM
    Options
    This home cook in Cornwall is one I like to look through - she finds/uses old recipes and bakes them "just for fun" ... she's just pottering about her little kitchen and baking stuff... without any modern hype and excitement :)

Here's a boiled fruit cake she cooked from a recipe sent to her ... and if you look through her other stuff you might see one or two old recipes to try. They tend to be simple, with straight forward ingredients ...

https://www.facebook.com/207309386110463/photos/a.207313022776766.1073741826.207309386110463/775963165911746/?type=3

Recipes from a Cornish Kitchen.

She also put together/published a book before Christmas, to raise funds for a Hospice.

It's all "stuff cooked by ladies aged 70-90, including their own grandmothers' recipes" style. WW2 stuff, traditional, simple.
  • Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TOSS-IN CAKE

Toss into a mixing bowl in the following order:

8 oz self-raising flour
    4 oz caster sugar (or use granulated or brown sugar)
    12 oz mixed fruit
    2 eggs (not beaten)
    4 oz melted margarine
    Quarter teaspoon each of mixed spice and nutmeg
    Three-quarters cup of milk (4 fluid oz)
    Pinch of salt
    Few drops of vanilla or almond essence, as preferred.

Beat together by hand all ingredients for four or five minutes. If you use a mixer you would obviously beat for a shorter time. Turn into a 6 inch cake tin.

Bake in the oven at Regulo 2 or 135 C for two hours.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My great grandmothers recipe (passed down from nan) was:
    2 cups of sr flour
    1 cup brown sugar
    Dried fruit soaked in hot water and drained (however much you have))
    1/2 block butter or Marge
    2 eggs

Rub in flour, sugar and fat (I add mixed spice)
    Add fruit and mix to 'flour the fruit' apparently this stops fruit from sinking (I usually add chopped glace cherrys)
    Beat eggs Add and mix, if mixture is dry add a bit of water.
    Put into greesed tin (I line my tin nan didn't )
    Cook at gas 5 for 45 to 60 mins (keep an eye on it - ovens vary - living in several rentals I have learned this) if its browned on top check with skewer, if not cooked in the middle cover with foil to continue cooking without burning. Nan knew to the second it would be ready, I have never used an oven that matches the one she used.
    When cooked cool on a rack and enjoy!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This home cook in Cornwall is one I like to look through - she finds/uses old recipes and bakes them "just for fun" ... she's just pottering about her little kitchen and baking stuff... without any modern hype and excitement :)

Here's a boiled fruit cake she cooked from a recipe sent to her ... and if you look through her other stuff you might see one or two old recipes to try. They tend to be simple, with straight forward ingredients ...

https://www.facebook.com/207309386110463/photos/a.207313022776766.1073741826.207309386110463/775963165911746/?type=3

Recipes from a Cornish Kitchen.

She also put together/published a book before Christmas, to raise funds for a Hospice.

It's all "stuff cooked by ladies aged 70-90, including their own grandmothers' recipes" style. WW2 stuff, traditional, simple.

SO lovely of you to post this recipe, Pastures New. Definitely one to save and to use. That is the second time I`ve seen a fruit cake made with condensed milk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure