Just checked credit score-ccj

Options
Ok, so really been trying to get on top of my debts and all that i owe around 5k , trying to raise my credit score and not miss any or get any late payments, been doing so well, thought i had it all sorted.
I felt like a huge weight had been lifted as i knew things were being paid and the phone calls were not longer constant.
New credit report was due and said i was down 30
New ccj - no explanation just a reference number, so i called and they said it was from a very old NEXT account. Damn, forgot all about it, havent heard a thing but recently moved house so maybe letters to old place which i haven't had, around £450
He says it was put on my file 2nd may, if i call next solicitors and pay full amount within 30days it'll clear completely off my score. So i I will to pay by 2nd june!
Is this true?
I asked him if it would only show as settled for 6yrs and he said no, fully removed as if it was never there?

Comments

• StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If you pay with the first 30 days of it being registered on the credit file it will be totally removed yes. Make sure you allow yourself time for the payment to clear before the 2nd june (and allow for the bank holiday)

If you acknowledge the debt is correct and can find the money I would pay it.

They are allowed to serve court documents to the address on their records so if you didnt update them that is most likely what happened. Have you not had a redirectikn service in place?

If you cannot pay in full before the 30 days is up it will appear on your credit file for six years
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    You will probably find if you do pay you will have to apply to the courts to have it removed from your file with proof of payment so may not instantly dosappear once paid
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Jm90

If the CCJ was only recorded on 2 May then yes, it is correct that if you settle this in full within one month it will be removed from your file without trace.

You refer to it being a "very old" Next account. In theory, if this debt had already been due for over 6 years by the time it went to court and you'd made no payments or written acknowledgements over that time, it might have become "statute barred" i.e. disputable because of its age. If you think this might be the case you could potentially apply to have the CCJ "set aside", but there'd be a fee of £255 to pay for this and it shouldn't be done unless you have a reasonable expectation of being able to dispute it.

However, if you're uncertain on that point and want to/can pay in full by 2 June to avoid any adverse effect on your credit file, you may decide you'd rather do that for peace of mind.

I hope that goes some way towards clarifying the situation for you.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, by very old, i mean around 4 years, i was paying but to be honest with all the other little debts i owed i just forgot about it when setting up payment plans for the others.

I went a long time, ignoring letters, phone calls, as at the time i just did not have spare money to pay. Buried my head in the sand until i finally tackled it.
    Was so happy as my rating was rising slowly.

I do owe the money, i will pay it and i am going to call today and try pay it this week.

I really need it gone and thank you so much for replying to me. Massive help.

So it shows on my file that its from a business centre, if it doesnt remove itself do i have to go through them to get it removed?
    Thank you
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, I'm so upset, i really thought i would be able to pay this ccj debt off in full last week. However i was not paid and still have not been paid.
    If somehow i do get my money today, and pay it in full, do you think it will clear in time by 2nd june.
    So so annoyed by this. I can afford to pay it on time just wish i had realised the ccj was on my file sooner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure