PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Options

Comments

• Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm loving this thread! I'm also lurking in the 'Simplify' thread and it's all very inspiring.

Hubby and I decluttered about 84 DVDs and sent them off to music magpie and zilit, depending on who paid more ;)

I've just put some clothes on preloved. I begrudge having to pay the ebay fees as I'm not selling the clothes for much money, but if I don't get any joy on preloved I'll give ebay a go.

I've got some jogging bottoms which I used to lounge around. Both pairs have holes and I considered buying new ones but then realised I could just sew them instead. Or leave the holes where they are seeing as I never go out in them :rotfl:

Hubby has just made a cottage pie which will last us the next three evenings. I also made some soup the other day and froze half so that will do us for a dinner after the cottage pie is all eaten :D
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Evening everyone, minimised a bag of bric a brac and costume jewellery for charity shop. Also got a bag of paperwork ready to be burned in incinerator in garden and a bag for recycling. Just minimised some mint ice cream that had been in freezer for a while, was very tasty.

Mended a hole in my pj top. Made do with stocks from freezer again tonight. Quorn Pie, chips and peas. I’ve made a meal plan for the week with stocks from cupboards and freezer.
    Another NSD today which results in a NS weekend.:j
  • Viking_mfw
    Options
    Not sure if this is making do or mending...
    So I asked on my village facebook group if anyone had a wooden pallet or two we can use to build a woodstore. Lots of offers came in, conveniently a couple at the end of our road. So this afternoon I duly put the seats down and webt off to pick them up... only to discover that I can't fit a palette in my car.
    So I had to make do with Shanks's Pony and carry it a third of a mile back to my house! :rotfl:
    Am going to get some wheels tomorrow so I can at least push the rest. If I can move, that is...
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Had a bit of a shift around of furniture yesterday in my dining/sun room, I got rid of a bookcase which has had come from DS's room but didn't match anything, it is in the garage at the moment and I am hoping to make some shelving from it (it's an MDF one). I'm very happy with the new layout and positioning of lamps.

I sorted out the books on the above bookcase and got rid of several more, it is a process for me, I can't just get rid of everything overnight, latest to go were some home decorating/diy books, a lovely cook book that I've never used and a few paperbacks.

The kids and me also went through our massive collection of crayons, coloured pencils and felt tips, we have kept a selection for us in case they need to do anything for school but the rest have gone in the charity bag in a bundle and any past their best have gone in the bin. Also got rid of the last colouring books and some oil pastels which are brand new.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    YorksLass - we have 2 excellent mats that are non-slip, very thin, goes through the washing machine and is years old. I wonder if your Housing / Tenants Association could buy a job lot cheaply?

An excellent suggestion but somehow I don't think our Housing bods would be amenable as they're very pig-headed once they've made up their minds. :( I'm not too bothered as I have one inside anyway but it was nice to have the "double-wipe". ;)

Tbh, I'm saving my energy for other anticipated confrontations - not supposed to have laminate flooring (noise nuisance) or hanging baskets (H&S and damage to property). Well, I have both but can't for the life of me see why not when you're on the ground floor. :doh: There's no-one living under our property and the baskets aren't over a shared walk way. When we first moved here 35+ years ago, the tenancy agreement was on 3 sides of A4 paper - now it's 28! I kid you not. :mad:
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A small amount of minimising when a small portable phone battery charger/power pack left, (along with a charging cable), a brand-new too small Leifheit ironing board cover, and a ditto (but non-Leifheit) dress. All given to a friend who gave up her time to take me shopping at A!di earlier.
    I have to take giving away books in stages too. I had very few books as a child, but I absolutely loved to read. The number of times I read the cookbook that came with my mum's Main gas cooker must have been legion.
    The only recipe I can really recall now was one for Beef Tea that advocated scraping raw steak into water in a coloured glass, to hide the blood-red colour. I think my brother and sister made toffee a few times, too, from that book.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    Mccullock29 for me it was the Mr Digwell gardening book over and over again until I went to big school.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • buildersdaughter
    buildersdaughter Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 February 2018 at 8:42AM
    Options
    JackieO - one of my occasional Xmas treats is left-over panettone (didn't get any this year!). Makes the most fantastic bread-and-butter pudding. You've probably eaten it by now, but had to say in case anyone else gets any - they often seem to be in the shops at Easter.
    Glad you're still here - I always follow your posts with interest (I'm really jackyann, had to sign up again after the password debacle!)

Had a fantastic afternoon with 2 grandchildren sorting my button box: inherited from my mother/ grandmother, I have of course added on the way, and was also given one by the family of a neighbour who died. I am making a denim shirt at the moment, and thought it would be nice to have some sorting help - really took me back!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A small amount of minimising when a small portable phone battery charger/power pack left, (along with a charging cable), a brand-new too small Leifheit ironing board cover, and a ditto (but non-Leifheit) dress. All given to a friend who gave up her time to take me shopping at A!di earlier.
    I have to take giving away books in stages too. I had very few books as a child, but I absolutely loved to read. The number of times I read the cookbook that came with my mum's Main gas cooker must have been legion.
    The only recipe I can really recall now was one for Beef Tea that advocated scraping raw steak into water in a coloured glass, to hide the blood-red colour. I think my brother and sister made toffee a few times, too, from that book.

I didn't have any books of my own as a child either, I did get a few as gifts when I was nearer teen years but I did have access to the library so I always had loads to read.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I love button boxes, and last year when I was knitting the poppies for the local poppy appeal I raided half the boxes in my area of Kent for small black ones :):) All my friends now have none at all in their boxes, as I made 145 poppies :):):) which went into the Royal Engineers exhibition at their museum in Chatham. Originally they had hoped that local people would knit around 5.000 but they ended up with over 22.000 instead.:):):) the exhibition was amazing.

I am now knitting Christmas bells for my friend for sale at the Dickens Christmas festival to raise funds for the Making Miracles charity :) thats in between knitting baby blankets and blankets for the Linus Trust. :):):)
    I like to multi task when I am sitting watching TV:):):)

My DDs say I am like Alice's white rabbit, always rushing around :):) but I like to keep busy.

This morning I shall host the U3A coffee morning in Dobbies and then get my food shopping (only second shop this month :)) then after lunch I shall pop to see a friend who can't get out and take her fresh library books, then off to DDs to keep an eye on my DGS until either Mum or Dad get home from work, then a quick cuppa back at my house before off to Quiz night at the pub as I am the coordinator for the U3A team there.

With luck I will be home by around 10.30 pm tonight and I will put on the SC with a bit of gammon (bought this morning) and it will cook overnight.

So a busy day ahead for me :) but I shall be
    Making do: (with a jacket spud for lunch)

Minimising: knitting up some of my spare yarn whilst coffee morning, and

Mending: I will repair the hook on the back of the larder door as it needs screwing in firmly as its about to drop poff (Its a to-do job that so far hasn't been done )

retirement isn't all beer and skittles you know :):):)

Have a good day chums what ever you do,enjoy it

JackieO xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family