Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• esperluette
    Options
    airport powered by the sun
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/india/11816236/The-worlds-first-fully-solar-powered-airport.htm
    I have not seen this quoted- aplogies if it is already known,
    just waiting for LHR now...
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Heard this this morning, think some of us will have been on the end of some the dodgy calls!

Solar firm fined for nuisance calls http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34394406
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,783 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ok, here's a strange one, I think this is really important, but I don't know why:

Most Efficient Commercial Solar Panels In USA To Come From SolarCity?

Something in my head is saying that US manufactured panels will go down well in the US, and Solarcity's links to Elon Musk (he's the Chairman and cousin of the founders) who's developing the Gigafactory to build Li-Ion batteries and Tesla powerwalls, will lead somewhere ..... so perhaps this will help to increase momentum in the US PV sector which is already accelerating nicely.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    I thought this Navitron thread was interesting, and perhaps one to watch regarding DNO compliance for larger systems.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options

• pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I agree. "Local policy" and other wording would suggest to me that a planning lawyer will have a field day at appeal...

Another thought, are panels not part of permitted development? If so, and if they are not part of the original planning permission, are they not therefore post-development permitted additional development - another one for the appeal lawyer...
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    pinnks wrote: »
    I agree. "Local policy" and other wording would suggest to me that a planning lawyer will have a field day at appeal...

Another thought, are panels not part of permitted development? If so, and if they are not part of the original planning permission, are they not therefore post-development permitted additional development - another one for the appeal lawyer...

Playing devil's advocate, could be that the panels are higher than the structure, so have breached PP on those grounds. All depends I suppose on how they were described in the application. Maybe lower them (pitch wise), and take the hit, even flat they'll still be doing 80%+ .... I think?

Mart.

• pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    True - or just take it to appeal, especially if they have put some sort of cover on the rear to soften the view. I once heard that 70% of planning appeals succeed but whether that is, or ever was, true is another question.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    An appeal certainly seems justified.

Planning portal is very clear that subject to certain conditions SPs would be a 'permitted development'. Unless of course it's a listed building (a listed newbuild ? I rather doubt it) or in a conservation area.

But it's even more bizarre that full plans were submitted and accepted with PP given only then to be withdrawn. I'd have thought that's well worth referring to an Ombudsman and asking council to make good their losses incurred by removal (and additional power costs for rest of their lives !).
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    An appeal certainly seems justified.

Planning portal is very clear that subject to certain conditions SPs would be a 'permitted development'. Unless of course it's a listed building (a listed newbuild ? I rather doubt it) or in a conservation area.

That's very true, but the PD rules do have conditions, and one of them (possibly the main one(?)) is that panels mustn't be higher than the ridgeline as this then changes the height of your property, which would require PP.

Obviously, I'm not arguing against an install, just trying to make sense of what seems like a very strange decision.

Also interesting to note that the DM's article isn't negative. :)

Mart.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback