Direct Report Injured at work then Sacked.

Options

Comments

• eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This has RIDDOR written all over it.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    Personal injury is what she's claiming for, I've outlined that he could have handled things better and that I won't be a witness, the following points are now apparent:

1.He inadvertently advertised her job a week before dismissing her.
    2. Feels any claim will be in the small hundreds in the unlikely event she wins.
    3. Feels it was her own fault that she fell.
    4. Outlined it will look bad that she only filed the claim on the day she was dismissed.
    5. Outlined that cleaning windows is part of any office administration role and is covered under ad hoc tasks.

My role at the moment is to look for a better employer.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    Personal injury is what she's claiming for, I've outlined that he could have handled things better and that I won't be a witness, the following points are now apparent:

2. Feels any claim will be in the small hundreds in the unlikely event she wins.
    4. Outlined it will look bad that she only filed the claim on the day she was dismissed.
    5. Outlined that cleaning windows is part of any office administration role and is covered under ad hoc tasks.

Good idea. He may not be in business much longer. On items 2 - 5 he is about to find out that he is very, very wrong. And that is before he is also possibly done by the Health and Safety Executive.

The reason why people have window cleaners is because it isn't an office job! Working at height needs a risk assessment and appropriate equipment, and "working at height" is defined as anything where your feet are not on the ground!
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Your boss is in for a rude awakening. I had very minor soft tissue damage to my hand in a car accident twelve months ago - mildly inconvenient and I popped a few paracetemol for, maybe, 2 months. My 7 1/2 year old, low mileage Mercedes was worth a whopping £5,000 as it was written off. Compensation for my injured hand was £2,700.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your boss is a reptile and as her line manager, you're not much better.

I hope the poor woman is adequately compensated and this business owner learns a sharp lesson from the enforcement folks.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • sangie595
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Your boss is in for a rude awakening. I had very minor soft tissue damage to my hand in a car accident twelve months ago - mildly inconvenient and I popped a few paracetemol for, maybe, 2 months. My 7 1/2 year old, low mileage Mercedes was worth a whopping £5,000 as it was written off. Compensation for my injured hand was £2,700.

You were robbed ! https://www.accident-claim-expert.co.uk/compensation-amounts/arm-injury-claim.html
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »

But their lowest level injury (£5800 - £16800) is for soft tissue damage combined with broken bones.

I had issues ironing and doing housework for all of 2 weeks - then it was just twinges. Worst part was being unable to open a bottle of prosecco :o

I wouldn't have claimed at all but the lorry driver who hit me initially said it was my fault. Yes, my car appeared out of thin air on the roundabout when he drove into my side. He backtracked massively 5 minutes later when independent witnesses pulled up. The git never apologised or asked if my seven year old was OK - half a second later and it would have been the door next to her which would have received the impact and she would have been the one showered in broken glass.
  • sangie595
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    But their lowest level injury (£5800 - £16800) is for soft tissue damage combined with broken bones.

I had issues ironing and doing housework for all of 2 weeks - then it was just twinges. Worst part was being unable to open a bottle of prosecco :o

I wouldn't have claimed at all but the lorry driver who hit me initially said it was my fault. Yes, my car appeared out of thin air on the roundabout when he drove into my side. He backtracked massively 5 minutes later when independent witnesses pulled up. The git never apologised or asked if my seven year old was OK - half a second later and it would have been the door next to her which would have received the impact and she would have been the one showered in broken glass.
    Oh it's always "your fault". I've only had a few accidents but never at fault. My utter favorite was the guy who ran into the back of my car at full whack. He got out and came over f*** ing and blinding about why was I stopped "in the middle of the road". I rather graciously pointed out that I usually did stop in the middle of the road at red traffic lights... I don't know which was more astonishing - that he hadn't seen a stationary bright red Peugeot 405 estate (so not exactly tiny) or that he hadn't seen the traffic lights!
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    I agree my boss has not behaved great, however isn't a broken bone at work always a possibility without the employer being to blame.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I agree my boss has not behaved great, however isn't a broken bone at work always a possibility without the employer being to blame.

Not when you make an admin assistant clean a high level window (definitely not an ad hoc task) without the correct equipment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure