need a new bed

Options
I need to get new bed (base and mattress)

It needs to be a reasonable cost but the main thing is I need the old one taken away from upstairs (top and base) and the new one delivered upstairs.

Any suggestions which companies will do this. I realise I will need to pay extra for the collection/delivery.

Thanks

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    John Lewis.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your local council may also collect large items of furniture for a smaller fee, worth asking as they may save you money.

Also try local charities, if your old bed base is in good condition they will sometimes collect free of charge so they can sell it on for charity.

And also try Ikea. Different stores will have different services but I remember when I bought something and used their (third party) flatpack/build service (the item was larger, wider and heavier than I was before anyone assumes I was being really lazy!) and although I didn't need it, they did offer to take away the furniture item it was replacing.

Ask in any store you are purchasing though but do expect the service to be store specific rather than always a National offer.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the bed and mattress is in reasonable condition, try Freecycle. I just got rid of one that way.
  • flybynight
    flybynight Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did dreams deliveries for a bit and used to take beds upstairs and also take old stuff down.
    saving for more holidays
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Options
    British Heart Foundation take old beds away for charity.

Most of the big retailers will do it either for free or for an extra charge around £20 - £30.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't remember where I got out last bed from but I DO know they took the old one away (probably for less than £20). I realise that's not in the least bit helpful, other than suggesting you look at the options from the new supplier. Good luck!
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I got one from a charity shop in the end. Lovely bed must have been in a spare room as looked new.

I gave a decent donation for delivery and they not only delivered the bed upstairs they brought the old one down to my garden to wait for the council collection. I wouldn't get that service from the big name shops.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure