Previous employer not providing wage slip

Options
I worked for someone for two and a half weeks last month.

When i took the job, it was always intended to be long term, alongside my studies at University.

However, when I received my University timetable it became clear that I would not be able to continue with the job as the hours would clash.

I therefore reluctantly gave up the job. The employer tried to claim I had to give notice, but I had already signed a contract, in which stated no notice was required by me if I was employed for less than four weeks.

I was then given a cheque, which is about £50 less than it should have been for the hours I worked. The cheque was for a round amount, which I found suspicious, as my hourly pay was not a round amount.

I texted the employer to ask them to provide me with a wage slip so I can see the breakdown as to how the figure I received was arrived at. No reply.

I have sent a further 4 texts since then - still no reply.

No responses to my texts is making me even more suspicious that something underhand has happened here.

What can I do to resolve this? I am aware that I am entitled to a wage slip by law.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It depends how much hassle you want to have and create for the sake of £50?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you want to pursue it, stop texting and instead send a letter.

State that you are not satisfied that the sum they have paid you is the correct amount due, and ask that they provide you with a wage slip or with a breakdown of how the sum has been arrived at.

State that you believe that you have been underpaid and ask for a substantive response within (say) 14 days.

Send the letter to HR, keeping a copy and proof of postage.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If not a letter than at least an email. Texting is not the way to immortalise a contract dispute.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How many hours did you work, what were you paid. Did you figure in tax and national insurace.
    2 weeks wouldnt be enough time to sort your allowances out. Ring hmrc and ask if any was paid
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport